Badgers in SoCal

songdog

Reaction score
I took off behind the house tonight to try some D11 time with my bow.  I sat glassing on top of a really steep canyon and after a couple of minutes I heard something in the bushes below me.  It was too big for birds, etc. so I figured a deer was ready to walk up the opposite side.  After a couple of minutes of straining to find something I saw something grey moving through the bushes.

I pull the binocs up and saw a badger.  First one I've seen in 15 years south of the Grapevine area (this is in Santa Clarita).  

So the question is, how far south do these things go?  I've seen them in Paso Robles and in the Central Valley but never down here.  Kind of fun to see something new.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I've seen a few in the foothills around Palmdale/Lancaster. Did you see any deer? I've been out twice this week and seen 3 does and 2 spikes. Good luck!      Scott

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen one in the foothills of Rancho Cucamonga one time while bow hunting.

songdog

Reaction score
grtwhthunter,

I went back to look for him again this morning and while I didn't see him I did see the big 3x3 mulie that I've seen once before and am planning on takign this year (as long as he cooperates).  

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen a badger in California. Last one I saw was in Missouri. A buddy and I pulled into a parking lot to get some shells for squirrel hunting near where I grew up, it's all developed now.  I looked over at this patch of grass by the median and there was this fat badger waddling along. He must of come out of the nearby creek because everything else around there was concrete or asphalt.

As we drove by him I rolled down the window and snarled at him. He didn't even look up. So much for my warface.

Brian S

Reaction score
I saw a wadling pair this summer while rabbit hunting. We were past victorville off the 15. I have been hunting up there for 5 years and never seen one. This used to be a good place to hunt and target shoot but there is a county ordinance that says shotgun for hunting only no target shooting. There is a ranger that patrols the area and enforces it pretty strictly. THe whole area is considered a Off Highway Vehicle area.
Brian

Fubar

Reaction score
The last badger I saw in CA was at Fort Hunter Liggett. He was a road kill but was in perfect condition. I wanted to keep it but my buddy was driving and he wouldnt have it in his truck. Too bad. I have seen quite a few while hunting deer in the Bridgeport area in X12.             Fubar

QALHNTR

Reaction score
I've never seen a badger, but quite a few times on the Parker Strip at the Colorado River we've seen what I guess are beavers.  Usually see 'em at dusk/dawn.  Wouldn't want to meet with one while I'm fishing in the tube. (Someone said they're muskrats)

Top Bottom