Baers feet ?

Glass eye

Reaction score
Have you ever used baers feet ?
I usually close the deal in my socks but I was wondering if those baers feet really work. It might be alot easier and more comfortable than taking the boots off.

Reaction score
I tried them years back but I like the feel of going in socks.

I think it makes me think more about each bit of pressure I put to the ground.

The final yards are not about comfort in my book but making the kill, I'll do what it takes and for me thats going in socks.

FT

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I tried them and the Carltons sneaky feet, they pick up every wild oat and sticker out there, then become slick bottomed. They are quiet, but when slick bottomed busting your keister is loud.

I am going to try using some 5mm diving booties this year. I can run, jump, and such in them without cutting my feet, and should be as quiet or close to as quiet as thick socks.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Dude - 5 mil booties? You wanna talk about scent uncontrol, those things will stink to high heaven from your rotten foot sweat in a new york second.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I've been pretty happy with the stalking results in my LL Bean classic Hunting Shoes. They're thin-soled (which a lot of folks don't like on rocky ground) with soft rubber, and allow me to feel danged near everything underfoot. They're as quiet as moccasins, but durable and solid.

They don't offer the ankle support of the heavier-duty boots, and the tread isn't as aggressive, but the tradeoff in sneakability is worth it to me. They're also versatile, and I've worn them in every hunting situation from elk hunting in snow in the Rockies to slinking around the Coalinga hills for blacktail and hogs.

Best of all, I don't have to stop to take them off when I find something to stalk, and I don't have to carry more crap in my pack (e.g. bear's feet or ninja shoes).

Just a thought...

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
I shot a nice buck a few years ago using Baer's Feet, they're great on relatively flat terrain, but once it gets steep, things can get western real quick.

Oregon Archer

Reaction score
i always thought something like these booties would work really good for spot and stock hunting. their thin enough to be able to feel the ground but offer more protection from rocks and other sharp objects.

http://www.rei.com/product/756784

One Track

Reaction score
I messed around with them for still hunting. They work great if conditions are right. If you are still hunting a dirt trail, or a sandy wash, they work well. Like mentioned above, they pick up every sticker and become a real mess. They become slick as snot when wet. They provide zero traction in the steep stuff. I've carried them around in the pack and never ended up using them. I usually forget I have them. For a final stalk, I'd rather take my boots off then mess around getting them out of the pack and slipping them over a boot. I don't recommend taking your boots off in javelina country. Ouch.

BOHNTR

Reaction score
I use my Calrton felt stakers all the time. The key is, I don't put them on until I'm on the final approach. Hiking with them all day not only wears them out, but definitely get "western" while traversing steep terrain.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rancho Loco @ Jun 24 2008, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dude - 5 mil booties? You wanna talk about scent uncontrol, those things will stink to high heaven from your rotten foot sweat in a new york second.
[/b]
They will be the final approach. Be on for very little time, not for the whole hunt. Neoprene only starts stinking when it gets wet and then dries slow and is kept warm growing bacteria. Well taken care of neoprene isn't hard to keep from stinking. Plus I got new unused booties for this, not ones with the GonaSyphlaHerpaClap from the crap I have been working in.

Also Baer's feet have velcro, which I reckon the Carlton's do to, but I am scared of that stuff.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Those look nice. I saved the pelt from that Tejon hog, so I got enough hide to make the foot bed. Gonna have to get a few more to finish the job.

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Glass eye @ Jun 23 2008, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Have you ever used baers feet ?
I usually close the deal in my socks but I was wondering if those baers feet really work. It might be alot easier and more comfortable than taking the boots off.[/b]

like others have said they do pick up a lot of stickers and debris...if you shake your feet most of the debris comes off....if you are walking on a deer trail, cut path, or old road they work very well...super quiet (IMO) if your going to use them to walk on various grounds for those last yards and there is no cut path and lots of debris then you will probably get the same results as a pair of socks would. i have walked right up on deer walking down old dirt roads with them on...they can't hear you comin.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BOHNTR @ Jun 24 2008, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I use my Calrton felt stakers all the time. The key is, I don't put them on until I'm on the final approach. Hiking with them all day not only wears them out, but definitely get "western" while traversing steep terrain.[/b]
Ditto!

SMA

Reaction score
A real thick pair of wool socks worked on my wimpy feet. Its real quiet

Latest Posts

Top Bottom