Baiting/Luring Them In?

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Seems like everything I use all I do is bring in squirrels and raccoons wasteing my pics! I'm looking for something that can be mobile more so than a mineral lick as I want to be able to move it from area to area trying different places. What do you use?

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
All you need to do is take a whiz in front of your camera... the Urine will draw them and stop them rite there to check it out. anythime of the year, will not spook them either, try it. Nothing more mobile than that... Just need to drink a few cams of your favorite beverage prior to setting up your cams.

I also age mine and blend it with ammonia. I use this on Mock Scrapes. I will be starting approx 30 of these Mock scrapes. Of the 30 I create likely 1/3 will become somewhat active and of that 1/3 about 1/2 will really be hit hard if freshened regular once every 3-7 days.

I will work this all the way into Bow season and Bucks will take them over into the breeding season and use them.

Need to be made in natural scrape areas, these can be made year round, Bucks will not actually full tend them thruought the year, but will work them and check on them. as Rut and breeding season gears up, they will be worked over hard.

This will be 1st year I run cams on these, no flash day Only, But am building some IR units I will use on them for nightshots. 4-5 weeks before season opener cams are out of the woods all together...

Try it sometime,,, you will become a believer

Dan "Obh"

moosejaw

Reaction score
OBH,
I want to order 25 gallons of that scrape pour.LOL I certainly like your info.How long have you been making mock scrapes?This is a subject I have been wondering about lately?You start your scrapes this time of year and do you add any other products to your scrapes?

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
MooseJaw,

I make them with rubber gloves and boots, and dont touch anything. claw the ground beneath a tree, along field edges, creek bottoms. northeast corners of flats and ridgetops, and field cut clearing edges, Under a overhanging branch.

I log all previous year scrapes and rub lines, and try to remake these on or VERY near these locations. I will start the scrape out small about 2 feet in diameter and claw the ground with a stick, benetah the overhanging branch. I do nothing with the overhanging branch this time of year.

as early stages of breeding season arrive, you will notice the overhanging branch is typically being used twisted up, I spray that with a product by Hawgs Unlimited its a forehead gland scent and very Important part of the scrape now and it allows deer to recognize others tending the scrape.

Thes scrapes can become pretty large and have some and pictures I can share of some the size of a truck hood, there is some I have in my webshots pictures of an 11 point tending one I photographed while on stand, also several others tending and checking it and lightly sparring around it.

I have found its never to early, Its a curiosity thing for them for the most part to check it out and scent the scrape area I believe.
they are alot of work at first but once you narrow it down to the ones being actively hit it becomes pretty easy. The closer the breeding season gets the more active they will become, But you will still get alot of activity now.

I use Human Urine. and let it age 7-9 days with the container open. add regular House ammonia to it" Most urine will smell like ammonia when aged, this Intensifies it" add about 10% to your urine. let it age another 2-3 days then close up the container and use as needed.

I use about 1 cup at each scrape sight.

These are like synthetic scents, but homebrew...

I also use scnet drippers with this formula as season approuches to orient then to daytime scrape activity, 90% of the activity is typically at night.

One other thing I do closer to the rut is to take scrape dirt from another wooded area and transfer it to your scrapes, using rubber gloves and a scent free container, this can act on a dominant Bucks Interest and really get him to using a scrape and will increase rubbing in an area as a dominant Buck will mark his territory. All helps in adding to rattling performance as well...

Im by no means any expert, But I have always tried to surround myself in anything I do with Highly successful people in whatever it is Im trying to accomplish and learn from them and add some things I have learned along the way.

Good Luck, Dan "Obh"

thehunter

Reaction score
Dan,

You might want to check out your webshot page. When I try to click on your link I keep getting the webshot home page.

pocomoke

Reaction score
I too pee in my mock scrapes with great results.I have pics of deer tending the scrape,does peeing on it and foxes rolling in it

I have several of the scrape drippers that I use as well.And as Dan stated do not break the overhanging limb this early.

I like to find fresh scat,the bigger the clump the better,and pick it up with rubber scent free gloves and put it in a ziplock baggie.I then put it in my pipe and smoke it while on stand---Wait
Thats not right,I transfer it from one hunting area and place it in a scrape that is in another of my hunting areas.Not just from the woods a couple hundred yards away but from areas miles away so it is the smell of a new animal.

Not sure if you need a permit to transport buck poop in your vehicle so check your local regulations...

COUESNAM

Reaction score
You guys are all idiots.

You don't pee at your stand sites! That may make a deer stop to smell the urine but it will not attract them or give them a desire to return. It will make them more cautious and they will be more attentive to any sound or movement they detect. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
Funny you say that Couesnam... Then why do a lot of these people catch these deer time and time again returning to the scrape site?? I wouldnt knock it until you have tried it.. Do you really think that they can tell the difference between human urine, deer urine, coon urine, etc....?? I really do not think so, I just think it makes them more curious as to what is coming into the scrape, not more cautious....

pocomoke

Reaction score
Wow couesman,dont hold back say what you feel...

Oh yeah did'nt you stir up some trouble about a month or so ago with a post where you were pretending to be an anti-hunter because you were bored?If I remember right someone pulled that post...And I'am an idiot,huh!!

Sorry cabinbob did not mean to hijack your post...

W

wildebeast

I brew my own beer and use 2 lbs of honey in it to make the best beer scrapes.
If I'm out I do use Coors Light and it works great. It' been sooooo hot lately that I made 17 beer scrapes and only had 8 cameras out.

I also grow my own hops so that might be the difference. Going to pick them today.

cousenam....be careful what you say...OBH has some of the best buck pictures I have ever seen.

I hunted last year wearing a NASA space suit so my scent would not scare the game..never saw a darn animal. Just a minute, I have to make a beer scrape..........................................................................
....... Okay I'm back.

cliff

COUESNAM

Reaction score
In doing scientific experiments, sometimes there are many different variables that could influence a reaction. Any one of these variables could be the reason the reaction is taking place. Concluding that human piss is drawing the deer to these mock scrapes in my opinion is an incorrect conclusion. I think there may be other factors that may influence these deer to these bait sites or scrapes other than the human piss.

pocomoke

Reaction score
Couesnam the reason that I am able to come to the conclusion that my urine is infact what brought in the deer is simple.I put up my cameras,I make a scrape,I pee in that scrape,I leave the area,later that night my cam takes a pic of a deer smelling the scrape.

I kave even done this without actually scraping the dirt up to look like a scrape,just pee in a spot in front of cam and sure enough get a deer pic later sniffing and even squating where I went.

So my scientific conclusion is that it does attract them and even and idiot could figure it out....Sorry could'nt resist...

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Wow,

I never expected to see that after a 11 hour day, But its ok its all about oppinions, Just could have been a lil more diplomatic I guess.

I dont know your background, nor do you know mine, But I do put alot of effort into Understanding and hunting whitetails, My Intention was to share my experiences. I remember the first time I had heard it and what my reaction to it was. But I understood the success the people that taught it to me were having with it. so I watched listened and learned something from what they were doing.

I always try to surround myself with others who are successful at whatever it is they do, they have been thru the trails and errors and it helps alot with the learning curve I feel.

I dont know your commitment to Bowhunting whitetails and what it is you expect or desire from your experiences while in the woods. But I have found it to be successful in the attraction of game, Be it curiosity or acting on a territorial interest I am not sure

My belief is it starts out as a curiosity attractant and leads into a territorial reaction as Deer progress thru hormonal changes as breeding season approuches.

I have watched, photographed on stand and with trail cams and persoanlly witnessed countless times a deers reaction to these setups, never have I witnessed them being alarmed by it, Unless I am using a territorial or dominant lure at a scrape site such as a tarsel gland from a previos killed deer or scrape dirt or scat as Pocomoke pointed out from another Bucks scrape in a differant location.

Do yourself and me this Courtesy... Tie on a good one, drink a case of Mick or your favorite brew.
shower up, spray down slap on yer knee high rubbers and gloves and take to the woods...give it a honest try, Its not hunting season yet, whats there to loose and see what happens. Im thinking you may be wearing the the crown you speak of and not me.

Dan "Obh"

moosejaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dan,I for one will give this a try,I have never tried mock scrapes.How do those scrape drippers work for you guys that use them?Any paticular one you like?

steel

Reaction score
I have been using about 10lbs of scattered whole corn at each Cam set up and the deer are running my 35mm Cams film out in two or three days. I am moving my digitals in on those set-ups this weekend and putting the 35mm on unbaited trails before I go broke from film processing. I use fruit and stuff from my garden to sometimes. I do know my baited cams get far more pics than my unbaited sites for sure.

swellman

Reaction score
Actually, there HAVE been documented studies done to test the effectiveness of human urine as an attractant to mock scrapes. It was compared to other urines such as doe deer, buck deer, coyote, etc. The human urine actually worked better than most of the other scents, including some of the deer urines. I can't remember the exact results, but I think rutting buck urine was #1.

I think I read about the study in Deer & Deer Hunting.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom