Baiting on public lands

cjack

Reaction score
How common is this? Has anyone else been effected by it? As a person who always plays it by the book it annoys the crap out of me to find this in areas that I have been diligent in scouting and hunting for years only to find that there are people cheating in order to be successful. It's hard enough to be successful archery hunting public lands, knowing that you are competing with people that don't play fair really takes the wind out of your sails. We already contend with early season unfavorable conditions, poachers, predators running ramped and over hunting of certain zones, now I competing with people that feel they need to cheat to gain an advantage? Sorry for the rant but I am really discouraged, it almost made me give up on the season but after a little break and some deep thought I've decided I can't let a few bad apples dampen my spirits and love of the hunt. Going to finish the early archery season strong.

canamrider07

Reaction score
If anything you know there will so called hunters in the area to avoid. As far as baiting, at least out here in Texas it's like ringing the dinner bell. I always throw some corn out when I set my game cams. On our property. 08180113 (1).JPG 08180122 (1).JPG

k-thug

Reaction score
why not use it to your advantage instead of seeing the worse side of it. Place your stand in semi close proximity to said bait. Also, sometimes livestock food is placed by ranchers running cattle or other livestock.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
How common is this? Has anyone else been effected by it? As a person who always plays it by the book it annoys the crap out of me to find this in areas that I have been diligent in scouting and hunting for years only to find that there are people cheating in order to be successful. It's hard enough to be successful archery hunting public lands, knowing that you are competing with people that don't play fair really takes the wind out of your sails. We already contend with early season unfavorable conditions, poachers, predators running ramped and over hunting of certain zones, now I competing with people that feel they need to cheat to gain an advantage? Sorry for the rant but I am really discouraged, it almost made me give up on the season but after a little break and some deep thought I've decided I can't let a few bad apples dampen my spirits and love of the hunt. Going to finish the early archery season strong.
This is one of the main problems facing our country right now, not following the laws and rules of our country. The one thing I can say is at the end of the day You Can Look Yourself in the Face and say I did the Honorable and Ethical Thing! I acted with integrity! This is extremely important when hunting with the next generation coming up! Life lessons, taught in the field!

Last edited:

sportyg

Reaction score
You see it all the time down in the rec area around Laguna. salt licks and other types of bait. CDFW doesn't do anything about it around there.

dthome

Reaction score
why not use it to your advantage instead of seeing the worse side of it. Place your stand in semi close proximity to said bait. Also, sometimes livestock food is placed by ranchers running cattle or other livestock.
This is very bad advice. Whether or not you place the bait there, it is illegal to hunt within 400 yards of it. Not only that, even if you remove it, you can't hunt there for 10 days. See below.

Mammal Hunting Regulations §257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait.
Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area.

• (a) Definition of Baited Area. As used in this regulation, "baited area" shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for ten days following complete removal

blazintowers

Reaction score
so what their telling me is I can put out bait as long as any kill is made at least 400 yards away from the baited area...

dthome

Reaction score
so what their telling me is I can put out bait as long as any kill is made at least 400 yards away from the baited area...
LOL. If you did that, I suppose you wouldn’t be guilty of baiting, but feeding most wildlife is still illegal under other regulations.

blazintowers

Reaction score
LOL...I know, I've never baited anything but a hook for a little fishing...but the option is there!

D8hntr

Reaction score
What exactly was the bait? Just curious if it was just a salt lick? There's salt licks all over D8 for the cattle that are up there. Honestly, I've seen little to no deer tracks around them in passing.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
You know there’s eyes everywhere u go now so it will b only a matter of time before they get caught, people who do stupid things will always make mistakes because their stupid.
Have u ever found a box of krispy Kream glazed donuts out in the woods during bear season.......lol......tra

sportyg

Reaction score
lol Can't say I've seen Krispy Kreams out around the rec area, but when u see a stand with a salt lick or what ever only 20/30 yards away whomever is baiting . They don't run cattle around the area although there are a couple ranches out side the area with cattle.

cjack

Reaction score
These were small chunks of salt licks directly in front of two trail cameras. They don't graze cattle in the area and there was a manufactured deer supplement of some sort, powdery/grainy substance. It was definitely baiting and I'm working with local warden to stop it. DFW has put out his own cameras and is currently investigating it.

D8hntr

Reaction score
These were small chunks of salt licks directly in front of two trail cameras. They don't graze cattle in the area and there was a manufactured deer supplement of some sort, powdery/grainy substance. It was definitely baiting and I'm working with local warden to stop it. DFW has put out his own cameras and is currently investigating it.
Gotcha👌

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
white powdery stuff sounds like deer cocaine, at least thats what they call it. You can buy it in stores. MO was any bait up till 2 weeks before season and you had to pull feeders. We ran a feeder for a year and jesus christ it was a constant battle with the coons to keep them from dumping the tripod over. When they couldnt do that they chewed through the bottom of the hopper. I got a few good pics but it wasnt that much better than on a good trail.

Salt licks were year round in MO and we had a few cattle but the deer tromped the area around the lick down a foot or more. They sure like their salt.

cjack

Reaction score
white powdery stuff sounds like deer cocaine, at least thats what they call it. You can buy it in stores. MO was any bait up till 2 weeks before season and you had to pull feeders. We ran a feeder for a year and jesus christ it was a constant battle with the coons to keep them from dumping the tripod over. When they couldnt do that they chewed through the bottom of the hopper. I got a few good pics but it wasnt that much better than on a good trail.

Salt licks were year round in MO and we had a few cattle but the deer tromped the area around the lick down a foot or more. They sure like their salt.
This was an orange/red grainy powder poured over a rock in one spot and over the salt licks in the other. Put out my own camera about 40 yards from the bait and got this guy coming in a few mornings ago. (time stamp is off a bit) STC_0013.JPG

Top Bottom