Baja, here we come.......

BigDog

Reaction score
Speckmisser, Mudwalker, BigDog and Mrs. BigDog are headed to Baja. Sun, sand, margaritas and fishing, fishing, fishing.
Headed down for a kayak fishing trip. The plane better be a big one cause I have way too much gear packed for this trip.

We will let you know how it goes...

One Track

Reaction score
Good luck to you all. Can't wait to see pics.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Wish I could get a pic of the grin that's gonna be on my face all day today at the office.

Tomorrow morning at this time, I'll be heading for the airport. By sundown, me and my friend tequila will be re-acquainted and life will be GOOD!

Then the fishing begins!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Pleasant weather, with mornings in the low 70's and mild highs around 90, with steady water temp at 85deg, and afternoon SE breezes. Fishing action went up a notch this week, with tuna returning in numbers, and limits of school-sized dorado close in. Lots of good bait (mackerel, mullet & sardinas) in the water.

The Bisbee Tournament at midweek was won by a 386lb blue marlin, with over 50 smaller blue marlin (under 300lbs) released.

Billfish - lots of blue marlin and sailfish, spread throughout the bay, from 3 to 15 miles out, with live bait (mackerel) working best for the sails, while blues taking both live bait and lures.

Dorado - schooling fish inside, about 1-3 miles offshore from Leonero to the lighthouse, averaging 10bs, taking mostly live bait and hoochies, limits for all. Big bulls to 45lbs outside, mixed in with marlin, taking trolled lures.

Yellowfin Tuna - schooling fish under porpoise, 3-10 miles offshore, with separate schools north off Punta Pescadero, as well as south off La Ribera and Cabo Pulmo, with 15-40lb fish (some larger fish to 80lbs) taking live bait, hoochies and cedar plugs.

Wahoo - a number of good-sized wahoo this week, taking bait and lures.

Inside - the roosterfish bite continues, with fish to 60lbs cruising the beaches from Leonero to the lighthouse, taking live bait.  Pargo on the reefs off La Ribera, with best results coming from yo-yoing jigs.  Vacationing golfer Nick Price and I have been taking roosters to 60lbs and pargo to 30lbs, fishing from the beach with live bait.

Fisherman of the Week - Gong Wong of Huntington Beach, CA, while fishing 4 days on a cruiser, took limits of dorado each day, limits of tuna to 80lbs, a wahoo, and released 2 sailfish.

By - Gary Barnes-Webb[/b]

superduty

Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing the tales of your trip. May your tequila cups runeth over and may the fish gods be on your side. Good luck to all of you and take it safe. I want to see pics and stories when you guys get back.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Let us know how it went~! Bet it was simply a blast.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
We're all back, and it WAS a blast!

Probably could have done a little better on the fishing, but what we did was pretty cool.

Stories and pix to come.

Hey Dave! Good choice, man!

mudwalker

Reaction score
Dave you rock!

Baja was beyond my expectations. While I didn't clear the ocean of fish, I had a blast out there on the water and even got in a great scuba trip to check out under the water too.

Best memory: Roughly two miles offshore in absolute silence and hearing the unmistakable sound of a whale surfacing / breathing out between us and the shore.
Wow that was cool.

Worst memory: Flipping the kayak and losing one of Speckmisser's rod and reels.

Talk about relaxing. No TVs, no video games. It took me four days to realize that there wasn't even a phone in my room.

switch

Reaction score
Where abouts did you guys stay? What part of Mexico were you visiting. AS witht he rest of the group, I'd love to see photos and hear the stories. I've heard the finback whales off of Puerto Citos in the same conditions. It was a moving experience and made me feel small. Baja is great!

Switch

Shane

Reaction score
Awesome! Glad you're back safe and happy. Can't wait to hear about it.

switch

Reaction score
Hey Speckmisser, great story and awesome pictures. I have made the trip to East Cape and was impressed with many aspects. I would think that using a kakak down there would definitely be the way to go as most of the cruisers put the boat in Marlin-drive all day. The freedom and ability to target what you want sounds like the deal. We make annual trips to La Paz and the diverse species load off cerralvo Island. Great place and can't wait to get back. Thanks for sharing.

Switch

hdsts

Reaction score
Great story Speck, I love it down there. I go to Loreto every year now and it is the same way. We did the La Paz thing first and came home needing a vacation from our vacation. Don't get me wrong, it was a blast great fishing and lotsa nite life, just couldn't find time to sleep. Will do it again just not every year, I'm more into the fish,eat,drink,relax and repeat type adventure annually. My bro-in-law goes with me every year and also does the East Cape in May and invites me but I just haven't been able to work it out, maybe next year? The nice thing is there are a lot of people afraid of Mexico from all the horror stories they've heard and read about and thats just fine we can keep it as our little secret. I understand that they are suppose to be building 5 new large resorts in Loreto in the next 2 years and that really SUCKS. Enjoy while we still can it is one of those little slices of paradise that is actually pretty close by.

Fish hard and go break a rod!!

Greg

Top Bottom