Baldy Mesa Fires

MapMan

Reaction score
I had originally posted this in response to EVAN III's remarks in the "Ca. Rabbit Season Opener" topic about Baldy Mesa. Thought I would move it here so others who are interested in this area do not miss out.

Before the second fire started in Cajon Pass again yesterday, I had gone up to survey the damage from the first fire. For the most part,  the West side of the 15 did not burn.
All areas East of the 15 and North of 138 had burned well back into the Summit Valley towards Silverwood Lake. It also had burned well up into Cleghorn Ridge and about a mile South of the truck scales along the 15. Nothing west of the 15 had burned in the first fire except a small area at the summit where the fire had crossed over briefly.

It appears the latest fire is burning West of the 15 up through Lone Pine Canyon and crossed over the 138 to the north into the Mormon Rock area. If it pushes further north we will probably loose all of Baldy Mesa area West of the 15, and threaten homes as well in the Oak Hills and Phelan areas. Wrightwood could also be in danger. It could get real bad. Have to see how today goes

The only good news is these fires are clearing out the heavy brush and in a couple of years we will have some good habitat and better hunting areas again. If possible I will be checking out the damage from the latest fire this weekend. I only live about 20 minutes from that area and know it pretty well. There were Quail all over the Mesa,  just not large quantities. Once ithey got into the tall, thick brush it was impossible to pursue them.

Marty

Reaction score
I'll try to take another look tomorrow.  I'm heading out toward Barstow.
Tonight, they are saying that southbound traffic is not permitted on the 15.
Yesterday, people were trying to drive around Arrowhead on the 173 - a dirt road!

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Judging by the pictures of the area, and going from memory, that brush up there hasn't burned in 25+ years. Is that about right?

EVAN III

Reaction score
  Mapman,

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to find a new place to hunt for this year.

JDC,
If memory serves me correctly, the east side of the 15 burned a few years ago. Although I will say the areas around silverwood were in need of a good burn. I guess well find out in the years to come.

EVAN III

Mt Goat

Reaction score
I live in Phelan,
It seems every few years we get a pretty good burn in the Cajon Pass, but not like this. IMO this burn will just make the hunting better, its so thick in most of this area its not huntable, this will just open it up alittle more.

As far as I know the fire is around the 138 area. Its not heading towards my part of Phelan, or Baldy Mesa yet. Last  I heard, it was going more toward Wrightwood area. This morning the news said its about 70% contained, and should be out in a day or so.

(Edited by Mt Goat at 9:35 am on June 28, 2002)

Marty

Reaction score
Yes, as Mtn Goat said, the fire is held in Lone Pine canyon.  Lost Lake is toast.  All northerly land from Mormon Rocks, Baldy Mesa, and Summit are not burned.  The area East of 15 and south of Summit is barren.  

Mojave

Reaction score
I drove through the pass yesterday (Friday) about 3 in the afternoon, on the way to Tucson, Az. The 138 was closed in both directions, tho the 15 was open both sides. The area is a real mess, and burned to a crisp on both sides of the 15. We saw tall flames and smoke in 2 areas near the 138 south of Mormon Rocks. All the canyons and hilltops we could see were burned or burning, except for a few small patches. I think this area will be an even worse mess, if hard rains hit before some regrowth. Don't know how far East it has burned, but anywhere within a few miles of the junction, forget hunting for this season.

Top Bottom