Baldy Mesa

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has hunted quail around Baldy Mesa. I was wondering if it is a good spot for quail?

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
There are quite a few quail there, but they are in small coveys that are spread out quite a bit.

Irish Lad

Reaction score
Was up there opening day. Lots of hunters. Didn't hear or see a quail.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
I was there openning weekend and next.  North of 138 and east side of 15.  Flushed 4 coveys of about 20 birds each.  Too bad I was deer hunting. Also, while deer hunting Millers canyon, had about 30 mountain quail walk past my stand on their way to water.
Always see quail when I'm deer hunting and deer when I'm quail hunting.

(Edited by Bishop at 6:37 pm on Nov. 17, 2001)

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I used to hunt there regularly for cottontail and quail.  If you stay on the dirt road that starts on the east side of the I-15 and Hwy 138 intersection, go under the tracks and keep driving it north untill you  go through the tunnels under both freeway sections, there is a guzzler up there.  But we always found quail scattered over that entire area.  But like the post above says, the coveys are small and you need to work hard for the birds.  I live in Fresno now so I haven't been there in  the past four years.

deadducks

Reaction score
I hunt the area off the 138 and 15 also.  Went out 2 weeks ago and got 2 birds.  Heard more but was unable to find them.  Both coveys were right off the OHV road near the guzzlers.  No I didnt hunt near the tanks.  THey are bone dry as they were last year also.  I wrote an email to J. Matthews about them being dry to see if he has any pull with the forestry deparment, or can put some heat on who is in charge of them tanks.  I usually try and hunt the canyons up there and work towards the north.  I have seen a couple does in the area but no horns.  Good luck out there.  I went near Silverwood this week and tried an area off the 138 near Miller Canyon Unit.  Went past the CDC signs about 2 miles and parked at a turnout.  Didn't see or hear anything. Did see a big Bobcat.  Sure was pretty.  If you know of a little more precise area in Miller's Cyn. or the vacinity I would appreciate the info.  Not your favorite spot just an area that might hold some birds.  That was my first hunt in that area.  I live in Norco so its pretty close.  Thanks and good luck out there.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I think I got the area mixed up. The area I went to today was off of Phealan rd. Which is sout hof the 395 and west of the I-15. The map calls that area Baldy Mesa. Does anyone know were I am talking about?

(Edited by Qbn Hunter at 6:00 pm on Nov. 18, 2001)

boutdoors4

Reaction score
HI
Talking about Baldy Mesa, I've hunted there for several years. there are a total of 5 guzzlers in the immediate areaa of the I-15 and 138. they are Hardrock.Tweener, sacrifice, A-4 and Turner, all within a1/2 mile or so of the I-15

deadducks

Reaction score
I think Baldy Mesa is just the flat land area of where we are all talking about.  I hunt the mountain areas just south of Baldy Mesa.  The OHV/Forest rd. is 3N24.  The tanks up off that road are large concrete tanks about 10-15 feet round with CDF # stamped on them.  I thought those were guzzlers.  Am I wrong.  They have no water in them  and were dry last year also.  I have found quail near them.  I dont know where the other guzzlers are that were mentioned above.  If they are different, and theres birds around the area do you mind giving alittle more info. on the area?  I have never actually hunted Baldy Mesa.  Do you hunt the areas around the houses?  I have taken Ebby Rd. in off Phelan Rd. to get to the area I mentioned.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
deadducks,

I went from Phealan rd. to White rd. to Mesquite. I followed that till it ended. We couldn't stay long so I really didn't scout the area properly. All this happend south of the 395 and west of I-15. If possible could someone tell us the exacts of these guzzlers.

(Edited by Qbn Hunter at 9:17 pm on Nov. 18, 2001)

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
DeadDucks, It sounds like your talking about fire storage water tanks.  Most of the guzzlers I've seen have some type of ramp for small animals and birds to get to a underground holding tank. Thats the type that's in the location Jackrabbit talks about.  That whole area north of 138 to 395 is called Balby Mesa. I don't hunt around Phelan anymore because of all the houses.  

Marty

Reaction score
There is an old guzzler just due north from those forestry tanks.  Last year it was dry.  We chased a covey north of there, but the land owner did not like the fact that we were north of the forest boundary on the Baldy Mesa.  He has a pen for ducks and geese ('yote bait).  The quail were getting water from his tanks.  Tried to flush the birds south, but they kept heading west from the road.  

tinner

Reaction score
there is a very small lake (lost lake) that is south of 138 and east of 15. exit I15 at 138 and go left. go past gas stations to lone pine cyn. rd. go left. go about 2-3 miles and there is a big long right hand turn. just after take the dirt road to the left(swarthout cyn.) follow that for a few miles and there will be a lake on the left. it has an actuall parking lot and is supposed to hold some small bass. it also has a small water fowl population. the cover in the area is very very thick but i have hunted here before and know there are birds bring a call to find them.

Maverick

Reaction score
I used to fish lost lake!!! not anymore...the lake is not private but the land around it is.. nudist to the north and private owner to the east ans west..

tinner

Reaction score
i am not sure about being private but i ran across several deer hunters and another quail hunter the last time i hunted there two years ago. i didn't know there was nudists up there i thought it was some kind of buddahist temple or a church or something, there is asian writing on the big sign. anyways if you do go to the area watch out for the homos lined up along the sides of the road along the r/r tracks and the creek during the day.

Maverick

Reaction score
Thinner
I have done a lot of bass fishing in that lake years ago..there are no longer and bass in the lake.. But as to the "homos" that are on the side of the r/r track I have not seen. If the "homos" were there I would surly stop and ask if they had seen any quail.

Top Bottom