Ballistic tables

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Not sure how many of you use the ballistic tables for comparing different factory loads but they are easy and you can customize them the way you want on some web sites.
On another thread Revo asked about trajectory so after I answered I decided to see how close my answer was. I used Federals chart since I shoot their Trophy copper. I compared my 140 to a 150 trophy copper. I used a 200 yard zero and 5000' of elevation. You just fill in the questions and ask it to calculate.

Now this is their table and may not be what your gun does but it is good for comparisons. If the table states that your bullet drops 16 inches at 400 the only way to know for sure is to shoot at 400 to see. I find that most of the times the published muzzle velocity is higher than it is in my guns but you can even change that number to match your muzzle velocity if you know what it is.
The tables are decent for comparing calibers and different factors like altitude, muzzle velocity and bullet weights. Interesting to play with anyway.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I have the KPY shot shell ballastic software, recommended by a member. It gives a pretty good idea about about how a shot shell will perform. Eliminates a lot of misconceptions I had before getting it.

Designed2Hunt

Reaction score
I have the KPY shot shell ballastic software, recommended by a member. It gives a pretty good idea about about how a shot shell will perform. Eliminates a lot of misconceptions I had before getting it.
That shot shell software looks pretty interesting. What were some of the things you were able to learn from it?
Seems like max lethal range would be top on my list.

Designed2Hunt

Reaction score
It would also be interested to see how the different shot sizes energy compares at 40 yds (i.e. the difference btwn #7.5 and #8; or #2 vs #3).

Another interest would be to compare steel loads vs lead loads at 40 yds for flight time (sec), energy (ft-lbs), wind drift, etc.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The program will do all the above. It is excellent for comparing steel vs lead loads. I use the gel penetration function a lot. This function gives you the amount of penetration for a certain shot type, size, at a specified feet per second. You will better understand pattern density vs. knockdown power and the performance of a particular load. If you reload shot shells this program is a must. The software works faultlessly.

Puulum

Banned
Reaction score
The program will do all the above. It is excellent for comparing steel vs lead loads. I use the gel penetration function a lot. This function gives you the amount of penetration for a certain shot type, size, at a specified feet per second. You will better understand pattern density vs. knockdown power and the performance of a particular load. If you reload shot shells this program is a must. The software works faultlessly.
+1
prod.jpg

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
It would definitely help evaluate store bought ammo as well. The focus is on reloaders primarily.

Top Bottom