Ballistics & shooting manual

z71stealth

Reaction score
I am looking for a manual that has the down-and-dirty, nitty-gritty mathematics behind ballistics and long-range shooting. The whole point is to give myself the background and tools to go out and get started with long-range shooting. That means that the book should cover (in my mind) everything from gravity to humidity and the Coriolis effect -- pretty much the kitchen sink. There's no substitute for doing it yourself out in the field, but I would like to make a reasoned start to it all.

My goal is to first learn the ropes, then make my own trajectory tables and wind charts. Eventually I would like to get into long-range competitions, but those guys are good and I will need lots of practice first!

I'll probably have to get a couple books, but it sure would be nice if an all-in-one manual existed...any recommendations will be a great help. Thanks.

SJ Hoghunter

Reaction score
I have one book that cover ballistics well..."Understanding Firearm Ballistics" and one that covers handloading "Handbook of Cartridge Reloading" by Hornady. I think I found one on Amazon and the other at Cabela's. Check them out...good luck with the long range competitions

myfriendis410

Reaction score
If you want to work with the underlying math used in calculating long range ballistics, the Sierra manual is the best, in my opinion. It has some pretty dense reading in parts, but will give you all you need to shoot at yardage.

Top Bottom