Ban All Motos

Woodduck

Reaction score
Thanks god we have a new home where we can get things off our chest, like banning moto's and keeping the First-Come, First-Served Line at Sutter.  I just got on this board this morning and the first thing I noticed was a lack of moto-bashing.  This place won't quite feel right until we get a good motothread going!

We're BACK!  Thanks Jesse!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome  Woodduck,

I'm sure the "M" word will get all the duck hunters to come out of lurk mode. I'll be fastening down my chinstrap. Say, is that one of ours on the left?

jerry d

Reaction score
Alright you guys. that's it.

First someone posts a picture of my ex-girlfriend in the "I need a hug" thread. Now someone posts a picture of my brothers and I having a little fun.

What next - a picture of my crazy uncle!!!!

What's that Popeye sez- "I've tooks all I can takes, I can't takes no more"!!!!

Jay

Reaction score
Moto schpoto!

With a 40% of normal snowpack and a normal spring in the nesting grounds we should be looking at an awesome duck season this year. Won't be no water to waste on rotting rice stubble and there will be a lot of scrambling for clubs to get water. The refuges are going to shine like jewels this year.

Won't need no moto, just a stick to beat all them birds off my decoys.

quackmaster

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the "moto's" as you call them.   The ducks will take care of themselves. Here in Arkansas where the ducks are usually plentiful, the ducks get pretty weary of those things. I guess after they see them after flying for 2000 or so miles they get used to them. When hunting fields, sometimes we actually started placing the "moto's on the other sides of the field! That way, when they flared off the "moto" they would come over the pit. Had to fight them off us at times. Self defense.
BOYS, KEEP AN EXTRA SHELL IN YOUR HAND!

(Edited by quackmaster at 3:13 pm on Mar. 20, 2001)

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Ya sucked me in like a Moto sucks a duck............

From what I understand (see M. Riley ) hunting pressure has little or no effect on waterfowl population numbers.  I don't understade it but I guess it's true.

As for your CLUB REFUGE Sutter.   OOOOHHHHH I can only pray.  Please duck gods take it away from the good ol boys and make it FAIR !!! for all that want to hunt their. Yeah the "F" word. Something you Sutter regulars dread.

I'll take my chances in a lotto any day of the week.  Having to get their on tthursday mid morning just to get in is CRAP.
GoLottoGoGoLottoGoGoLottoGo.  Fair Fair Fair

Woodduck

Reaction score
Hey E.A, don't get me started on that Sutter thing again.  We're still in the "Honeymoon" phase on this board!

E A Hunt

Reaction score
You started it with that bogus first come first serve same 15 guys get in every Sat. And Wed. garbage.
I'm glad we have a place to play now and we can get back to some of us bitchin and moanin for the RIGHT thing to be done.

Anyway glad your here. Maybe this will draw some of the lurker who only like to watch into this board.

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
I agree take all four federal refuges(Sutter,Colusa,Delevan and Sacramento) make two lottery and two first come first serve.Then switch them every year.This would be fair for everyone.I would prefer Sutter lottery all the time but I think the aforementioned is a very fair compromise for everybody.

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
EA,
That is not what I said.  Hunting regs are set up so hunting should not be additive morality.  What that means is the USFWS service (in theory) sets the framework so that the amount of ducks taken would normally die from some other cause during the year.  If moto throws this balance out by increasing harvest above the assumed average daily bag - then hunting can become additive.  In the case of the CA mallard, it looks like moto may have already done that.  So - waterfowl bag & season regs are set up to be compensatory harvest, but unforeseen variables that make a large deviation in the assumptions can change that.  In that case (under AHM) changes are made to bag and season to adjust for this.  Depending on the spring nesting counts this could very well happen with mallards in CA.   So if the northern counts are good, we could conceivably have a 7 duck limit with a reduced mallard limit lower than 7.

In regards to the FC/FS vs. Lotto, I think Drake Slayer is right on the money.  Got to give hunters choices.  What's good (fair) for E A may not be good (fair) for others.  So by giving folks the choice we encourage more hunters to get out a stay part of the sport.  Rotating refuges each season would provide that a different look each year and might solve the "I never get to hunt ****** refuge because it's not in my favorite type of admittance system.”   Though I think as long as you divide Sutter/Colusa and Sac/ Delevan I don’t think rotation would be necessary.  

D

Desert Duck

Wow, no matter where you go, the "roto" duck controversy prevails. OK, my turn. Here it goes...Although we are all waterfowlers that should be united by our common interest, we seem to be divided between the common forms of the nostalgic and the pragmatic.  I have read many pros and cons concerning this issue, Including a few legal documentations (Ca. Dept. of Fish and Game and Univesity of Davis). I am personally convinced that the "roto's" have no more impact to the quarry than a fowler that knows how to place his/her decoys to equate to the situation and is also  proficient with their calling!  Before I rufflle your feathers here, allow me to relate my experience with you. My buds and I have a blind that is in a sticked area with a 40yd x80yd  "pond" in front of us. The other blinds in our vicinity are in open water, for the most part. We have had people use "rotos" within 125yds of us.....to no avail . We were able to pull birds away from them by calling, at a rate of approx. 75% of the time! (No, I don't use a "roto" myself. Maybe someday, if they are still "legal" and I so choose!). The point is this, where do we draw the line? No live birds as deekes, electronic (used for spring goose!) or mechanical calls, sinkboxes, punt guns............how  about no decoys, calls, blinds, camo, dogs, boats etc....allowed? Just a thought...Let us be a bit more open minded on this subject and whatever controversial subject may come our way in the future. Fowlers Rule!

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey Riley,
             When is the CWA sponsored meeting with hunters, rice producers, and refuge officials going to take place. We all are waiting because you are listening.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
I see your point Mike.  That will sure keep the folks coming back. Just leave it the way it is.
Mr. new guy shows up friday afternoon at sutter just to hang out till noon on sat. to hunt. That will keep them coming.

Mr, New guy decides to take a day off and get their friday AM just to see the same group of guys in front of him. That will keep them coming back.

So now he shows up Thursday Nite sit aroud for about 36 hours so he can hunt. Yep that will for sure keep them comming back. great concept.

What's the fear of lotto ?  Are you FC/FS  clubers afraid you just might not get in ?  Well..........how do you like it ?

Fair for ALL is to give everybody an EVEN chance at getting in at first light.

So explain why it's fair that the FC/FS line in the best refuge in our system is  loaded with the same group or close to the same group of guys every Friday and tuesday.

Good Luck

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
The best refuge in the system is LDC-Lotto. Sutter, FC/FS, historicly has been #3 on birds per hunter 2,4&5 (Delevan, Sac & Colusa) all Lotto, then its a far drop to Gray Lodge.  Get the picture.  Because you can't get to Sutter early you figure that it isn't fair.  Well maybe the guy that has a 3 or 4 hour drive doesn't think it is fair to have to drive all that way without knowing where he's going to hunt in the morning.  Maybe he has to take Friday off just to get there by 8PM anyhow.  There are a lot of reasons why your fair isn't everyone elses fair.  If you don't like to wait in line go to Delevan or Sac as I am sure you're already going to LDC.  I don't hunt Sutter very often either, if I am sweating its been primarily LDC or one of the West side refuges(all in Lottery).  I don't have the time to sit in line either, but if I want to take time off I know I can.  It's all about Choice.  You seem to want yours - well so do other people.    The lotto actually works better for me too, so the idea of rotation, I like.  That would mean some years I shoot Sutter others Colusa, but there is a choice.  Sorry E A on this subject you're self centered and wrong.  Besides the Sutter "regulars" are only 5 or so people anymore, after that group the faces change daily.   I didn't sweat Sutte once this year, but I stopped by on the way to LDC a few times and there were a lot of new faces.

C

CA DUXHNTR

Ok Ban the Moto, bring it back to when hunting skill was important.  As far as Sutter FC/FC lottery.  Nobody will ever be happy about this subject no matter which way it goes.  I myself would love to see a lottery at Sutter.  Why?  I think 30 guys hunting there 10 days is better than 10 guys hunting there 30 days.  A lottery would spread the wealth.  LDC is a lottery, why not Sutter?  They are both low quota areas than can be extremely great areas to hunt.   And whats "fair" to some might not be "fair" to others, especially if it doesn't suit them.  Just my two cents worth.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Your right Mike I'm self centered and wrong.  God forbid us outsiders dare to try and wedge our way onto your and your good ol boys turf.
Thanks for setting me straight.  I can see the light  now.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom