Band tailed in so.cal

Brian S

Reaction score
I don't know much about the hunting of bandtailed pigeons but I happened across a bunch of them while scouting for deer. I was driving out of the off highway vehicle park in Gorman off I 5. Heading up the dirt road to alamo mountain. There must have been about 30 of them roosted up in the pine trees. I have also heard of people hunting them out of Frazier park up the road from Gorman. Just thought I'd pass that on to any BT pigeon people.
Good Luck,
Brian

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
There are also BTP in the Palomar Mtn region in San Diego.  I've seen them before while turkey hunting.  Never did make it back to hunt them.

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
I think the limit is 2. Could make for a quick shoot if you can find them.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
A few years back I was on some turkeys here in SoCal. My only problem sneaking in was the band tailed pidgeons high up in the pine trees would give me away every time I snuck into the saddle where the turkeys were loafing and dusting.

Finally one day I had a tom walking over to check out my calling and decoy. He's about 80 yards away entering a clearing around some brushpiles. I get the safety off and start licking my chops when suddenly WHOOSH!!. A golden eagle up in one of the pines swooped on the tom, the tom instead of running toward me and closer cover, turned around and ran back to the brushline where he had come from. The eagle just missed whacking him.

I guess that eagle had been there the whole time and I just didn't see him. If the eagle had come out of a dive the tom would have been history. Launching from the perch cost him to much time and the tom beat him by several footsteps.

I muttered to myself all the way back to the truck. That ridge I soon called Heartbreak Ridge for obvious reasons.

songdog

Reaction score
Anyone ever eaten one of these pigeons?  I'm sure they're better than the rats with wings that hang out down by the beach but???

grizz

Reaction score
I've eaten lots of them, cooked a lot of differant ways.  But there's not much differance between the domestic and band tailed.  Neither are very good.  But I love to hunt them, although I didn't this year.
So I got to eat them.  The hunt for me is not so much for the bag, it's more for the trip.  I' ve been going since I was 9 to the same place.  It's a beautiful place in the Feather river canyon.  I hope it didn't burn in the Poe fire this year.  Lots of memories there.
Anyway, the best way I found to eat them is to soak the breast in a meranade, then I smoke em some, then steam em till done.  Then I fine chop em add mayo, onion, pickle relish, greated chesse and what ever eles sound good at the time.  Mix and make sandwiches.
The older I get the more I'am glad the limits only two these days.

lostagain

Reaction score
Frasier Park is a good place for BTP. They tend to fly on the steeper sides of the hills so if you can find their route it will be a short hunt (limit is 2). Mostly pass shooting in a nice environment. As far as table fare goes they are ok but nothing to write home about. I prefer doves to BTP

Top Bottom