Band Tails...Have any of you noticed this?

grkhunter

Reaction score
What's up all?

I live and work in the San Fernando valley and have been noticing a trend over the past couple of years. It has to do with Band Tail Pigeons. I've been noticing birds all over the valley for the first time. I work in Burbank near Griffith Park and I've been seeing many.

I've seen quite a few of them flying accross the 170 freeway on the parks that border near Magnolia on my way to and from work. Their display flight is how I can tell them apart from the city pigeons. They fly with a more shallow dip of the wings kinda looking like the escapee parrots you see every now and again. Its too bad I can't set up on the side of the freeway to pick 'em off when the season starts.

Is this a sign of a comeback or what? I've never seen 'em in the valley before and this year I even found a pair nesting in a neighbor's tree. I've also heard their bellowing coos from atop wires and whatnot. I was just wondering if any of you have noticed the same thing or is it just me?

I'm interested to find out if anyone else has noticed this or is it just me?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Mitso Da Greek

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
I've noticed it as well but there are plenty of oaks in that area!

Schoettgen

Reaction score
I'm not in that area but I have also noticed an increase in bandtails the last couple of years. They are not what they were 20 or 25 years ago but it is an improvment. I hunted them all the time as a kid.

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
The last intelligable thing my friend Nels Corbiel said to me was to tell me he saw some Band Tails in a certain spot. He so wanted to go get them, but ran out of time. He said they were coming back. I don't know that I have ever seen one.

One Track

Reaction score
Five years ago I would see them all the time in our mountains outside of San Diego. Two or three flocks we zoom past my stand every morning. I haven't seen on pigeon over the last two seasons. What up with that?

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
Never bagged any, but I've seen them at Hunter Liggett, around Frazier Park and down in the Cleveland National Forest. Season opens in the north, 9-18 to 9-26 and in the south, 12-16 to 12-26, limit 2/day. You need to go to the DFG site to determine what is north/south, I don't have that info!

vrstull

Reaction score
For the past several years a couple pair have nested next to my house. They show up, clutch, then split. They've got it down.

Huntin' Foo'

Reaction score
I have been seeing them for last last couple of season throughout the state...Fort Hunter Ligget, Mendocino NF and also up in the Sierra. Seems like everywhere I go I've been seeing them. I saw a pair in the Oakland foothills last month with Pablo. However, I have yet to bag any...

Foo'

5standjake

Reaction score
I grew up hunting them in Vancouver,BC literally tons of them.I have also noticed lots of bandtailed pigeons this year even in low elevations.I hunted them twice last year and both times myself and a buddy shot limits.

Later 5standjake also known as jake the lucky greek

Top Bottom