• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

bar or bolt in 300winmag

j. owen

Thanks to all who helped with the info on the 270wsm 300wsm question after weighing pros cons going to go with traditional available 300 win mag
Now been reaserching long range 600 plus with bar and getting 50/50 on good / bad reviews but I do like the idea of 300 win mag in semi auto
So what I'm asking is why would you go on way or the other
I take criticism very well so please give best opinion
Thanks again

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Like I said in the other thread I used to shoot a BAR. Todays BAR is not the same as mine was but still a gun that has its limits. If you choose a decent bolt gun and it does not perform to your standards you can do a variety of things to it that I do not believe you can do to the BAR. Trigger work is where I start because with a crappy trigger you are never going to be able to shoot really long range. Most bolt guns can be tweaked a little and you can even keep the factory trigger. I read all the time about a good bolt gun out of the box shooting sub minute of angle groups. I do not think a BAR will. I have no idea what you can do to a BAR but I have a feeling it is much less than you can do to a bolt gun if you get one that will not shoot accurately. I changed back to nothing but bolt guns in the early 90s and have not been sorry (all have had something done to the trigger). None of my hunting buddies use their BAR as a primary gun any longer. I still think there is a place for them but not at 500 yards unless you are really lucky. My old BAR would not shoot some ammo well. I had to try a few different brands to find something I could live with. Now that we are all going to shoot copper only in CA. your choices of ammo are really limited. You may not find that sweet shooting ammo for a BAR and then are you going to load for it? I have been much luckier with my bolt guns and I can get them to shot a much larger variety of ammo. Things my BAR would not shoot under 5 inches at 100 yards would do 1-2" groups in my bolt gun. I did find some loads it liked but not many. My main bolt gun will shoot well under 1" groups at 100 yards and some loads just make one big hole, with the right ammo my BAR would do 1.5-2" groups at best. Not a good really long range gun. I made some long shots (for me) with my BAR and I got my monies worth from it but I don't feel it is what I want or need now. Large game animals in timber maybe but long range shots not so much.

Last edited:

quaildeath

The traditional bolt gun has less moving parts = accuracy.
The reviews on the cheap Ruger American are amazing for a couple hundred. Like said above sub moa out of the box.
Also agreed with the above on little accuracy tweaks to a bolt gun that will make it more able than a seal is capable of.

The one thing about the BAR, is that it could be used as SHTF get out Dodge gun for defensive / offensive use if you did not have a AK, AR or mini. Just saying.

Last edited:

quaildeath

Johns accuracy is very good from his BAR. A "good" AK or Mini is 5-8 inches at 100 yds.
But.....well made M1As (civi M14) are sub moa at a few hundred yards, however at a much greater price than a lightly tweaked bolt gun.

adam32

Get an MPA AR in .300 winny if you want a 600 yard capable semi auto...performance costs money, how far you wanna go just depends on your budget...

http://www.shopmillerprecisionarms.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=MPA-300-pictured

Or you can get a .284 Diablo from us that'll blow the pants off a .300 winny at any range... ;)

Www.diablocustomrifles.com

I've always wanted a BAR in .243 for a truck/coyote gun. I bought my dad a Benelli R1 in .270 WSM when they came out. Shoulders and balances much better then a BAR. Comes up like a shotgun. Very nice and reliable but will only hold MOA on a good day. It's usually a touch over, which is fine for my dad and 98% of other hunters that mainly shoot under 300 yards. He loves the rifle. They make them in .300 Winny too.

Last edited:

j. owen

Thank you fellas for all the very helpful information makes me feel alot more confident in my purchase going with a rem 700 long range model in 300wm save some money from the higher end cost of the bar to put to some glass
Thanks again
Jack

OPAH

I have always leaned to the Browning A bolt, never ever had issues with it

billt

3 Browning A- Bolts here, (.375 H&H, 30-06, .22 L.R.), and no complaints. However, the BAR in .300 Win. Mag. is a very attractive rifle.

Planetcat

I have a bar shortrac in .308. Its a great, fast, reliable accurate rifle, but I would not shoot it or a .300 win mag version past 400 yards. I also shoot .300wm, .338wm, and .30-06 in a semi auto benelli R1. Even the long barreled .338 is a stretch accuracy-wise past 500 yards. I quality bolt action in .300wm will be great for longer shots.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Most of my big game hunting has been with a .300 Winchester. It's been reliable and holds around 1' at 100 yds if I do my part with nosler partitions and barnes copper. The only issue is I got the push feed when they stopped selling the controlled feed actions. I wish I had waited and went with a controlled feed.

Winchester, the riflemans rifle right

Planetcat

I have a newer bar in .308 and three Benelli R1’s in .300wm, .30-06, and .338wm. While the bar and .300/.30-06 are very accurate, I would not consider shooting them at game with confidence past 400 yards. They are perfect for the type of hunting I do, but for longer range shooting in .300 win mag, I’d get a bolt action for sure. I’ve been eying the new xbolt in .300 win mag myself. My buddy has one, and it shoots great at long ranges with the right ammo.

Top Bottom