Basic Questions

lawdog

Reaction score
Tinhorns 2 stage timer and Ms20 mods call for a 5v Reed Relay.  Does that mean the power source has to be 5v?

I have a 12v reed relay, can it be used for a 9v power supply (can't find a 9v reed relay)

On these relays, how do you tell which pin is for pos., neg & trigger?

If I use a 9v n.o. relay which has 5 pins, how can I tell which should go to + or - and which go to the trigger?  What to do with the other pins?

davered1

Reaction score
lawdog,

9 volts won't trip 12v relay,use a 5v reed relay.
here is  schematic  of reed relay.(what pins are for)

the 9v N.O. relay are easy just unsolder relay off of MS20 board and try to insert the 9v relay,whichever pin doesn't have a hole is not needed.

THIS IS A REED RELAY

Tinhorn

Reaction score
LawDog

The 2 stage timer does can be operated from 6 to 12V but you will have to use the correct value resistor's that are in series with the LED's (about 510 ohms for 9 & 12v and 330 ohms for 6v)

The relay, as you guessed, has to be matched to the batt volts pretty close.  Some report that a 9v coil works ok with a 12v batt, altho that may be stressing the relay a little

You can put a resistor in series with the relay coil to drop some volts when using a 5v coil with a 9 or 12v batt, have to know the relay coil specs to calc proper value of resistor)

as for all those pins,  I assume you didnt get any spec sheets with the relay,  you will have to figure them out for yourself,  why not go to Radio Shack and spend $3 and get a relay with the PIN ID shown!

See YA!

Tinhorn

lawdog

Reaction score
davered1 ,

Thanks for your help.  So you are saying I can use a 5V reed relay with my 9v source - correct?

Is that better to use than the 9v relay I was going to use on my Ms20?

Steve Jo

Reaction score
I posted a question in a new topic, but I thought Id readdress it here.

I am using the same PIR, but I am using a 12v source and a 12v reed relay from Radio Shack.  There are only 4 leads on the 12v, does that mean that all the leads are used.

Sorry for such a bone headed question.

lawdog

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your help.  This site has a lot of expertise and still doesn't make us Greenhorns feel bad.

Top Bottom