Battery differences

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
I've been wondering what the advantage of something like a lithium ion battery is as compared to a alkaline or a platinum. Is it simply because the lithium can store more energy (ampacity) and therefore run a power hungry camera ( digital) longer?
All things being equal, (bat size and mounting) could the batteries be interchangeable given the same voltages?
Could I adapt a Li-Ion battery from my digital to run one of my Owls, and if so how would the cold weather performance be?
Has anyone tried this already?

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
shrtcirkt, I rember reading in the book that came with my Owl not to use nickel-cadium or lithium batteries.  I am not sure why??  If they put out the same voltage, how can it hurt the camera? I know my viedo camera Lithium-ion battery last forever and is small and light weight.

hamiltoe

Reaction score
I've heard that it is because Lithium batteries can overheat in the camera...according to my canon A20 digital camera manual.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
The advantages of using the Lithium batteries that I'm aware of are that they last a lot longer, and that they are not affected as much at lower temps. I have yet to gamble on putting them in my OWL after reading the owners manual. My friend uses them in his commercial Photohunter with no problems. You can buy them in AA size, so you wouldn't have to make an adapter.

(Edited by coyotebandit at 8:22 am on Feb. 20, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recall reading a recent post by a person who had two Owl PFs die a short time after installing lithium batts - If the manual says not to use 'em, I wouldn't do it.

If you want longer batt life, you could try the external batt adapter shown on my page at:
http://www.geocities.com/archilochus57
With it you can hook up "C" or "D" batts to run the cam.

Archilochus

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
What I am actually thinking of doing is using a standard battery to power a digital unit.
Something like a sealed lead acid battery, with a voltage regulator to power the 7.5 volts my digital needs. I'm thinking this should last longer then the standard Li-Ion...
What do you think?

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I built an adjustable voltage regulator from radio shack parts. It seems to work just fine running off my 12v gel cell battery, the pot is very sensitive though. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. If you put 6 recharchable batteries together you would be at 7.2 v (1.2x6=7.2) or 5 alkaline batteries (5x1.5=7.5). You could figure out how much longer it would last if you can get the milli-amps per hour specs.

(Edited by coyotebandit at 9:25 pm on Feb. 20, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi shrtcikt,
A regulated battery supply should work fine - with a few cautions.

Some digital cams EAT up the batts - My Oly C2000Z won't run for more than ~15 minutes or so with alkalines - and with alkalines, if I try to take a flash pic with the LCD display on the cam shuts down!

On the regulator - make sure to use a model that can supply the PEAK current demanded by the cam.  My 1.5 amp benchtop supply will shut down (over-current protection) when I try to use it with the C2000Z.

coyotebandits suggestion of using 6x rechargeable batts might be the best method.

Archilochus

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Arch is right.

The characteristics of normal gel cell and lead acid batteries are not usually the best for camera operations because their peak current vs discharge rate are a problem.  Thus, the NiMH came along and problem solved.  The peak current on these bad boys is tremendous and the fact that they come back to their voltage level even after heavy loads make them an ideal choice for camera operations.  I use them for example in my digital camera and I can get 100+ photos on four AA NiMH batteries before they lose it but with Alkaline I get about 10 pictures before they go.  The peak demand drains them almost immediately causing them to get hot.  This is also why they do not recommend the Lithium batteries in these applications because the overheating can cause them to leak or burst.  The lead acid battery if it has an large amp/hour rating would probably work fine then you would be limited to your voltage regulator shutdown current.  I would consider the NiMH batteries with a regulator since they are fairly inexpensive, small, rechargeable for 500 to 1000 times, and are designed for this application.  Of course if already have the lead acid batteries you can't get much cheaper than that.  
Be sure and don't use gel type because they have what's called a knee voltage and once they go down to that level you run the risk of damaging the battery and it may not come back up.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
MBullism

Ampacity means how much capacity a battery has (in amps or ma's  (MilliAmps))

I relocated what Brian said about batteries to the Random Thoughts Post, stuck at the top of the Forum, and also included the explanation by HamilToe about lithium ion batteries overheating and possibly damaging cameras.

Tinhorn

MBullism

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn...I figured that's what it meant.  It just sounds like a homemade word is all.

Top Bottom