Battery life any thoughts?

stanman

Reaction score
We have been using 9.6 volt craftsman cordless drill batterys and they seem to be lasting forever without changing 3 weeks so far .I was wondering on the life span of the small 9 volt batterys?Whats the longest you have got out of one.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi stanman - At present I'm powering my first MS20 with a bank of 6 ea "D" Size batteries, and this is only the third day that it has been in the field.  I tried to build Tinhorn's 6 Volt Lantern battery cam, but couldn't get the 6 volt relay to work.  If I go broke buying "D" size batteries, I will probably be interested in your drill motor battery.  What is the cost on those?  Do yo need to buy a charger?

BlackWater

Reaction score
Although I have 2 units with drill pack batteries, the only problem is costs. Many are $30-50.00 and yes you need a charger, but most drill/tool packs come with one.  They will last for a long time with our cams.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Richard Webb

Did you ever try to use the RS 5v reed relay on your unit?  Your 6v relay jobber must be really energy hungry to not trigger on a 6v lantern batt.

I have built at least 8 with lantern batt's and one with 4 AAs in series for 6v with no problems and the batt's last months running the PF, MS20, and 2 stage timer.....

Tinhorn

gtk

Reaction score
Tinhorn... I have several homemades that use two 6vlt lantern batteries wired in either series or parallel (whichever gives you 12vlts).  I really couln't figure out how to make it work on 6vlts either.

Is it detrimental to do this, or rather will 12 vlts wear out the relay faster that 6 or 9.5 ?

As always, thanks a million.

Greg

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Has anyone tested the transistor on the MS20 board to see if it switches when the MS20 is powered with 6 volts?  I used a 6 volt relay (NTE R46-503-6 SPDT 5A-6VDC), and nothing happened.  I checked the relay connected direct to the 6 volt lantern battery, and it was okay. When I was working on the MS20 I thought that the transistor wasn't switching?

Edited: The Relay was 70 Ohms & 360 mW

(Edited by Richard Webb at 10:39 am on July 13, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Richard Webb

I just tried a 5v relay with a 70 ohm coil (275-243) and it did "not" pull in, just like you said, but I tried a couple of Reed Relays from RS (275-232) and each one pulled in.  Their coils are 250 ohms

The 70 ohm coil specs says it takes 72ma's to pull in and the Reed Relay specs says 20ma's will pull it in.

Most LED's pull about 20ma's BTW

I finally got around to experimenting with the MS20 as you can see, I posted some information under it's own heading.....

I would have included this info but didn't think to try the test till I read your post above.....

Thanx

Tinhorn

stanman

Reaction score
Richard  The drill batterys are pricy what my brother and i did was watch for sales at Walmart,Canadian tire,Sears etc .We ended up finding a sale at Sears for drill ,2 batterys and a charger for $66.00 Canadian.I can use the drill for installing tree steps this fall so the price is not that bad and they seem to last for ever.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom