battery life p32

remington870

Reaction score
i was just wondering how many days you can get off the p32. I am using 2 AA's in the camera and it seems i am only getting 3-4 days and they are dead. any suggestions?

Thanks

W

wildebeast

How many pictures?

I've had one out for several weeks and the battery is still good.
Only have around 30 pics tho.

cliff

remington870

Reaction score
i average about 10 or so pictures every 3-4 days. i am using the card from glolab, not that the card should make a difference.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
LCD comes on whenever a apic is taken. Its on/off style cam so it turns on takes pic then off..

I checked a cam today had 297 pics on it batteries were dead it was out for 1 1/2 weeks. BUT typically if pic count does not run up will get 3-4 weeks outr of batteries Longer, But I have not tested it, always change them every time out.

Dan

KANSASBUCKHUNTER

Reaction score
On both the 32 and 41's you CAN manually shut off the LCD. Once you turn it on to begin with, press the display button twice and it will not come back on. Even after you power down the unit and then restart it. I found this little trick today!!

mohican

Reaction score
Kanas is correct, you can manually turn the monitor off. I do so just before closing the lid on my case. I also found it by accident when I was messing around with it. It may be in the manual but when you are making cams for the woods who reads manuals!!!!

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Now thats kewl... I looked around for that and was mad you could not turn it off... Thats great that you can... Thanks for the heads up on that... I did not know that...
Hope I did not confuse anyone

Dan

dueber

Reaction score
I'm building a P32 cam and also concerned about battery life because I may need to leave mine out for up to a month. Why can't I wire it up to a 4-AA battery pack? Anyone tried this? I'm no battery expert, but wouldn't this nearly double your run time?

galiuro mountain man

Reaction score
Anyone who wants more life from the P32,

You can run it off a 4 batt pack, but there is some modifiations that have to be made to the holder. The P32 runs off a lower voltage. It is a 3 volt cam, and most 4 AA or C cell battery holders are 6 volt. The way you have to do it is search for a 3 volt holder, or modify one, or buy 2 of the 2 battery holders. The easiest way to get more life would be to get a 2 C cell holder and run it to the camera. If you want a super long life one, the easiest way to do it is to get 2 of the double C cell holders and run them parallel to eachother (pos to pos and neg to neg). This will keep the voltage at 3 volts, but give a larger amp store, which means longer life. To attach it to the cam you have a few options also, you can solder a set of wires and a plug to the pos and neg in the camera, build a set of dummy batts, or modify the ac plug adapter to your battery holder if your camera came with one (if not you may be able to find one somewhere). The plug would be the easiest if you find one, but you can use the inside of the plug to solder your wires to. I would also be a good idea to put some kind of circuit protection on the power wire going into the cam. If you noticed when you pulled the P32 apart there was a small circuit breaker / fuse to the right of the chip in the center of the cam board (there was also a sticker there) I would start with one 5% to 10% lower rating than this one, test it, if it fails go to the same rating as the one on the cam, never larger!!!!! If something were to happen it would be easier to fix it outside the cam rather than in.

Hope this helps
GMM

PaPaBob

Reaction score
galiuro mountain man: There is some great advise you have given here. I have been working on a parallel battery arrangement for a D-380 system where I created 2 5 C-cell(4000 mAh ea.) and after charging seperately are then plugged into a wiring harness to set them up in parallel. This will keep my voltage at 6V but gives me a total 8000 mAh for the cam system. I am attempting run the RSS pixcontroller board and the camera all off of the same battery source. We shall see.

Now with the P-32's. There is a external power supply plug DC IN that is setup to take an AC adapter from a household plug source. Wouldn't this be an acceptable method of plugging in one of these battery packs. The manual says to use the following plug: AC-LS5 AC Adaptor This is the full adaptor but all we need is the appropriate plug from that adaptor and then sire it to the battery packs.

If you see any problems with this please post your ideas and concerns. Thanks.

dueber

Reaction score
GMM

Please elaborate a little on what type of modifications you make to a 4 AA battery holder.

Also, how would you solder your wires to the inside of the plug on a P32? I see several metal tabs in there and not sure which is pos. and neg.

Also not sure what kind of circuit protection you mean. Is there a specific item you have in mind that I might find at Radio Shack?

Thanks

galiuro mountain man

Reaction score
To modify the 4 aa holder, you have to cut the jumper that goes between the 2 sets of bats. then you have to run a wire from one side to pasitive and the other to negative. This is a lot more work than getting 2 of the 2 aa holders. The plug you need for the plug in in the back wasnt supplied with my camera, so I imagine it has to be purchased seperately. I would try to get one of these plugs. I dont think you can get the micro breakers from RS, but you may be able to find them through mouser or someone like that. When I get some time I will research it some.

GMM

Latest Posts

Top Bottom