BATTERY OPTION

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I SAW MIKE FROM MAINE'S GAME CAMERA WAS WIRED WITH 6 D CELL BATTERIES IN SERIES FOR HIS 9 VOLT POWER SOURCE TO THE REGENT MS20 PIR.  HOW LONG OF BATTERY LIFE IS HE GETTING(APPROXIMATELY)?  I'M AM STILL UNDECIDED ON HOW TO POWER MY GAME CAMERA?????

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Here is a guess based on these Specs:

Alkaline "D" cell,  rated at 12,000 ma hrs
Estimated Cam ma's:     2.2

Battery Life:   7.6 months

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
Can someone post the rating for 4 alkaline "C" cell batteries?  I can't seem to locate my info. off-hand.

And how about the camera's 2 "AA" batteries......they seem to drain quicker than the sensor/timer batteries in my units.  Has anybody calculated, theoretically, how long they should last?

(Edited by jayber at 8:48 am on July 31, 2001)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Add me to the list:  How does 4 "D" size batteries in series compare with a single 6 volt lantern battery.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Alkaline "C" batt's capacity is 6000ma's.  At a 2.2 ma current draw then the calc's come to 3.8 months( with the Batt's in Series)

It would be difficult to calculate the cam batts since they are so intermittant with respect to Motor and Idle.  The PF book states a set of batt's should last 18 rolls of film with a 50% usage of the flash....

RW, we posted at the same time so I edited this post.

The D batt's are the same as above D batt Post.

Note: if they are in series, no matter how many batts there is, the Batt Capacity don't increase.  Also note that if you "Parallel" batt's, the weakest will run down the strongest to it's level !

Alkaline 6v Lantern Batt's have a capacity of 11,000 ma's so a current of 2.2 ma's = 6.9 months.  (6v lantern batts are actually 4 cells in series)

========================

I selected 2.2 ma's as the MS20 PIR/Timer current draw.  The timer shouldn't draw much so if you don't have one, these calcs won't be too far off.

Except, calc'g batt life is hit or miss.  A continuous drain is hard on batt's compared to intermittant use for various reasons.

============================

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 11:49 am on July 31, 2001)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Tinhorn, thanks for the help. The only reason I tried "D" sized batteries is because of the Buckshot 35 (RTV) using them in their Ammo Cans. My 1st roll with the MS20 had 10 blank frames in less than a minute, so I'm waiting to see how the 2nd roll at the developers turns out before I build the 6 volt model. The 3rd MS20 roll is on the trail now taking pictures to see how the MS20 wide angle handles a trail pictures out at 14 feet. If the MS20 requires a timer, then it wont do for trail use where the animals follow one another. Do you know if the MS20 tripping off pictures in succession has anything to do with the voltage? The cam in question is running on 9 volts with a bank of 6 "D" sized batteries.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
RW

The MS20 actually runs on 5 volts and has a built in volt reg that reduces (& regulates) the voltge to 5 volts.  

The only time any of  my cam's gets unstable is when the batt volts get's a little below 5 volts.  When this happens, the MS20 starts toggling and fires off pix after pix until the roll is taken up.

So It don't sound like the problem is batt voltage and I'm not really sure what it could be.

Archy-you out there?   you got any ideas?  

4 years ago when I build my 1st cam, I set it on the porch one evening after dark to watch the test LED signal when a "yard" rabbit hopped by.  Several times I seen the light flash half a dozen times which would have meant 6 pix's in a row.  I don't know what, if anything was triggering it (too dark to see)  

I didn't have a timer on it at the time but built one that week that only had a delay of 20 sec's.  After this my "False Alarms" was cut way down.  Actually, that was the reason I built timers, to cut down on these rapid triggers and wind + Sun related "False Alarms".   The PIR was a Burglar Alarm I had modified to work on 5 volts instead of 12....I never heard of a MS20 in those days,  I learned about them on the Tenn Forum  

Sorry for the rambling, must be punch drunk, it's so late

Tinhorn

A

Archilochus2

Hi all,
I've not used the MS20 sensor, so I don't have any solid theories about the re-triggering problem - but here are a few possibilities (not in any particular order)

>>The manufacturer may have used VERY cheap components (they are rather inexpensive sensors)  A cheap PIR sensor element often has no built-in RF/EMR shielding or filters.  A nearby cell tower or other high power RF emitter could be causing false triggerings.
>>High heat and humidity will increase 'noise' levels in the PIR element.  The circuit design of the MS20 will amplify these 'noise' signals and possibly cause false triggerings.
>>Power supply input capacitor not big enough?  Try increasing it and adding a ceramic 0.01uF cap in parallel with it.
>>If the shutter relay is being driven by the *regulated* 5V power that the sensor circuitry is powered by, it could be causing spikes on the power rails when it turns on/off.  This could be temperature related if combined with one of the possibilities above.
>>Bad batteries - check their voltage while under load.
>>Condensation on inside of Fresnel lens (or rain on outside)  I've tested my sensors by running drops of water down the lens - this sometimes causes a false triggering.

Archilochus

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Tinhorn & Archilochus, The 2nd roll of 24 pictures from the MS20 are all false alarms. I used the 110 degree wide angle at 7 feet from the trail, so I doubt if any deer passed by without having their picture taken. Looking at the shadows shows that only a few are re-triggers, and never more than 2 ea with the same shadows. The date stamp doesn't show up on the dry grass, but I can see that all 24 pictures were shot during the first morning. BTW, my RS PIR did the same thing when I pointed it at our oak savannah during mid day.

COSTCO only charges $2.90 for developing 24 of the 4 X 6 photos, and I have a 3rd MS20 roll in there that will be finished Friday. I'll let you know what happens. Has anyone come up with a 24 hour timer for our cams? My living room lamp never gives me problems.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom