battery power

bigmandude

Reaction score
i am making a cam for a friend, or rather helping him make one.  he wants to use the gel cell batteries like i have .. 12v 1.2 amphour.  but he doesnt have a charger, i just happened to have one on hand.. the question is can i just use a plain transformer from allelectronics.com  they have some with dc output in 12v and 14v and a variety of amphour ratings.  

if so should i use 12v or 14v for a 12 battery??? and what amphour rating would be best

Tinhorn

Reaction score
If I understand you right, these are not AC Adapters but just transformers.  If that's the case, they won't work as battery chargers without additional circuitry.

A battery requires Direct Current (DC) to charge it, a transformer's output terminals have Alternating Current (AC) only

Some battery chargers have their output conditioned and may, among other things, go from full charge to trickle or even shutsdown (turns off) when the battery is charged.

Building a Battery Charger might be fun but you'd have to find a circuit, etc and be sure that charger is correct for your battery.

Tinhorn

bigmandude

Reaction score
these particular ones all had dc output,,,, perhaps they shouldnt have called them transformers.  

Top Bottom