BATTERY SELECTION

tdixon

Reaction score
I WANT TO BUILD ANOTHER CAMERA. I USED A 12 VOLT RECHARGABLE LEAD ACID BATTERY WITH 7 AH. I WANT TO LIGHTEN THE LOAD BUT STAY WITH THE 12 VOLTS. IM GOING TO USED 8 AA BATTERIES. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG THIS BATTERY SETUP WILL LAST? I'M USING  THE REGENT SENSOR,OWL PF,AND A LED. IF YOU KNOW IT WILL SAVE A LOT OF TESTING.

tdixon

Reaction score
WHICH SIZE BATTERIES WILL LAST THE LONGEST GENERALLY, C ,D, AA. ETC.....? I KNOW ALL ARE 1.5 VOLTS BUT WHICH WILL LAST THE LONGEST?

gizz

Reaction score
tdixon - I use a 12v 1.2Amp for all my cams. They can be purchased from Allelectronics for $7.5 ea. The capacity is very good and the battery is relatively small and light not to mention re-chargeable.

BlackWater

Reaction score
I use 9.6 remote control car batteries.  Fully charged they run around 11.6v and in 0 degree weather last winter they would be out for 3 weeks before checking and still have around 10v.  Nice cause they are relatively small and light.

bradleydale

Reaction score
tdixon,
my first and only homemade cam so far is powered just as you have decribed. I bought a battery holder that holds 8-AA batteries from Radio Shack. I've been using the camera about a month now and the battery pack still shows a strong 12 volt charge.
I like the smallness of this battery pack but my next cam will likely be a small rechargeable of some kind.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I have one that is an Owl PF, MS20 PIR, and 2 stage TLC555 timer running on "4" AA Alkaline's in series (6 volts)  After 1 month, I change batt's.  Batt's do better in warm temp's, not sure how long it will last in the wintertime....

You mentioned the LED, it don't stay on all the time does it?   That would be hard on Batt's,  the LED will draw "way" more than anything else in your unit.

Tinhorn

tdixon

Reaction score
no it  does not stay on all the time . only when it's triggered.(led)

Top Bottom