Battery test

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing my own battery test, just to find out if one brand is really better than another.  I was going to use one of those clocks that use one AA battery and also hook up a flash light bulb to the same battery.  I would set the clock at 12 and see how long it would last.  I figure try three of four of each type battery.  I think I will try Ni-MH rechargeable also.  Does this sound like it will work, just wanted to make sure before I wasted a bunch of batteries.

-Scott-

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi FLB,
Not sure that would yield the answer as to what's the "best"  - every situation is a bit different.
NiMh/NiCd batts are great for high peak current applications (digital & video cams, etc) - but the self discharge, temperature range, and intolerance of "deep cycling" would make them a poor choice for very low power use or any use where the circuit might be left 'on' for very long periods before recharge.  Typical lead-acids have a good temp range, but also don't like deep-cycling or extended use with very low drain before recharge.
Most lithium batts I think don't like heavy loads, but can be used over a broad temp range and in apps that have low drain for LOOONG periods of time (shelf life 10+ years).

Alkalines are a compromise - they can deliver a fair amount of peak current, have a useable temp range, and last for quite some time in low drain apps.  Downside - they cost more over the life of the product and the environmental issues of disposal.  Alkialines can differ markedly by brand (not necessarily based on price) - they would make for an interesting test to determine the "best" value.

Should I even mention zinc/carbon or zinc/chloride batts????
Then there's the per cell voltage issue.....

So .... the short (non)answer..... the best batt is the one that works well in your *specific* application ;-)
Much info can be found on the 'net about various chemistry batts and their good / bad sides.

Archilochus

shufigo

Reaction score
My two cents worth on battery brands. I got a one time special good deal at Bass Pro shop last month on AAs. Don't recall the price, but it was indeed too good to be true.  Bottom line was, I ended up just throwing the last dozen or so away.  Just measuring in my GPS and flashlights, they lasted much less than half as long as the standard brand names. "If it sounds too good to be true...."

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hey shuf.... always remember to check the "expire by" date...  That's when they put 'em on super sale :)

Archilochus

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
Thanks Archeilochus that was informative.  I guess I will just keep using the same ones I have been using.  There really can't be to much difference anyway.  I just like the rechargeable ones....a lot cheeper in the long run.  Thanks again for the info.

-Scott-

shufigo

Reaction score
Arch-
These weren't old, just junk. They had the BassPro label and logo all over them, packed in bricks of 25 each. Indeed had 1.5V charge (barely), just had no duration. Made in China really cheap.. and worth exactly that.

apittet

Reaction score
You got it right ! not all batteries are equal and "China made" batteries are real cheap ... but very high cost if you look at what you get out of them ($ per Ah)! As we have a common border with that country, we get them here for real dirt cheap, about 4 ¢ apiece !!! and be sure they are not worth more than that !!!

That's life long learning, by experience...
Cheers
André

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Speaking of Batteries,

Don't forget that the black salve electricians use on aluminum wire (Ox-Guard I think it's called) works great on batteries too.  You know how you have to bump the back end of a flashlight sometimes to get it to come on at full brightness, etc.......  Ox-Guard will stop this problem.

Also, we've been talking a lot lately about very low current and PIR's.  When devices draw very low current the voltage "Punch Threw" at the battery connections is not as great as devices drawing more current.  This can cause intermittant operation of the device.  Ox-Guard on the battery terminals will reduce this problem as well.  I had an Owl PF that had connection  problems with the internal AA's but the salve cured it.

Another thing you can do, especially with Cell type batteries is use a pencil eraser to polish the battery ends, makes a better connection.  When I was in the Army, if we had marginal reception when talking over the radio, sometimes polishing the battery and connector would be just enough Oomph to get the radio to make the trip.

Tinhorn

Top Bottom