Battery Tester

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I've read from several members posts about testing their batteries to determine if they need to be replaced.  Can someone tell me what I need to buy and do they have it at Radio Shack?  Oh yeah, how much does one of them boogers cost?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi SA,
Well....you need to get a...umm...battery tester.  Get the kind that tests the batts under load.  About 14 US$ at RS.

Archilochus

MBullism

Reaction score
Is there a way that this can be done with a multi meter?  Please excuse my ignorance, but I only use the thing for resistance/continuity to check my soldering, and for volts around the house to make sure I threw the right breaker...

Tinhorn

Reaction score
There is a way to do it but you will have to do some searching for the correct values.  

You can take a certain value resistor and short the battery with it while measuring the voltage of the battery.  You can tell the battery charge condition by the voltage you read.

Mite be fun to build a tester but I bought one years ago that tests batteries under load....

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
This time of year Wal-mart is trying to get rid of the hunting stuff from this past fall.  I picked up a Moultrie battery tester the other day for $3 bucks on clearance at Wal-mart.  It works great.  It has both 6 volt and 12 volt testing capabilities with an LED level indicator for the charge level.  I checked it with my volt meter while putting a similar load on the battery and it works great.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
Thanks guys.  I will head out today in quest of the elusive battery tester.

Washout

Reaction score
Tinhorn, I've scoured the countryside here and can't find one, Do you happen to know what value of resistor would be necessary to make a tester? Washout

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I didn't tell myself where I got this info (not written down in notes) but here is what I had, I'll do some searching and try to find where I got this info:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
6volt lantern battery Test

10ma  4.5V  +- .36
                 5 ohm load

0 -61%     replace         0 - 3.66 volts
   62 -72%      Weak        3.72 - 4.32 volts
   73-105%      Good        4.38 - 6.30 volts[/b]
Also found this info on the Net:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

Energizer battery testers are intended to indicate general battery condition and will not predict battery life remaining. These testers are loaded voltmeters and use the following loads and minimum “Good” cut off voltages. Because of the chemistry of zinc air cells, these testers will not indicate battery condition.

BATTERY TYPICAL APPLICATIONS LOAD (Ohms) MINIMUM “GOOD” VOLTAGE
1.5V                  General Use                      10          1.1 volts
D,C,AA,AAA        Motor Drive, Photoflash      1          1.1 volts
6V Lantern                                                   5          4.4 volts
9V                     General Use                     250          6.6 volts
9V                    Photo Flash                         15          6.6 volts[/b]
Tinhorn

Washout

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn,
Guess I'm going to show my stupdity here but based on your post, would I be right or wrong in assuming that all I need to do is connect a 10 ohm resistor (1.5v) between the positive and negitive posts and then use a volt meter to take the reading? Or am I over simplfying the issue?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
You would be right!

and I think, looking at the top Quoted figures, that those per centage values given on the left were intended to calculate Good, weak, and replace values. I don't know where I got that info, been in my Electronics Folder for years....

Energizer says to replace a 1.5 volt battery when it's 73% of it's rated voltage (1.1 / 1.5 = .7333)

which is pretty close the the 72% value given for weak in that upper quote

Also, watch out, some type of battery cells are rated at only 1.2 volts and not 1.5 volts

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom