Be prepared

Remshot

Reaction score
Every year it seems someone dies out here in the desert from heat related problems.I thought about all the people hunting with limited knowledge of the wash outs, sandy roads and canals that have gotten in trouble here in the desert,myself included.
I service my vehicle's belts and hoses,cooling system,air filters and tires every summer and before again before dove season.Check the spare tire and pack a small compressor and a patch kit or fix-a flat anyway.I carry a shovel or a hoe to dig myself out and water for the truck and enough for myself and a buddy. A rope is handy ,so are toilet items (T.P.),sunscreen and bug juice.
 If in doubt about a soft road or you see signs of water erosion get out and take a good look before you proceed.Don't drive or park too close to close to a canal,they break off all the time.I look in the rearview every now and then to see what the way out looks like ,it helps me from getting lost. Tell someone which way you're going or leave a note.
 And never drive by a guy without offering to assist,the shoe could be on the other foot next time.

SoCalTed

Reaction score
Carry your cell phone... we're not on top of K2!  If you feel threatended by a guy on the side of the road and don't want to stop, call 911 for him.  The CHP will dispatch someone asap.  Print a map out of your area.  You may know exactly where you are hunting, but can your hunting buddies explain it over the phone to the EMS operator if you're suffering from hole in the head disease?   Hydrate the night before, and througout the day.  Avoid alcohol as it will take a toll on you walking around Hell Centro!

shaginator

Reaction score
Hey there Remshot. Don't recall us crossing paths on this here forum, so Welcome to JHP.

I second all the advice from above!

One time I saw a group of folks camping IN a deep and sandy washout. I advised them that they ought to head out of the general area while pointing to the dark clouds and lightning from about 30 miles yonder. They mumbled something about taking shelter from the wind... Oh my. After about another 5 minutes of advisin' I decided it was time to save my own hide and head for the highway.

I don't know if they took my advice, but I went ahead and called the Sheriff just in case. Haven't seen any stories in the Darwin awards archives yet, so I reckon they either took my advice or had already won a deal from the flood gods.

Remshot

Reaction score
You're not kidding Shaginator,flashflood are real this time of year.Rattlesnakes are still out too.

foulshot

Reaction score
I haven't been witness to it first hand but, last year there was a mini tornado down there.  I work for MaBell and we had to replace about 30 or so poles that got snapped off.  You can sure get some bizarre weather down there.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
One of the best tips I ever read was to keep two or more strips of old carpet in the back of you truck when out in the backcountry of off-roading. Each strips of carpet need to be about three or four feed long and about two feet wide. If you get stuck in mud or sand take a strip and jam it under your tire and slowly drive up onto the carpet and out and onto hard pack.
WBH

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I think a good tip with being prepared, is if your hunting with your kids and it's hot out. My personal excperince is I constantly ask my kids how they feel and give them water. If you don't ask they some times won't, being excited about going hunting and forgetting the fact about drinking water is a must..  just my .02.
Great points you guys....

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">I've got to put a big ditto on Thonz' idea.  Last year my daughter joined me for her fourth opener.  She's very used to the River heat as we visit several times a year.  But, the day before the opener, while we were doing a little clay practice she about fainted from the heat.  We got her in the shade and drinking fluids and it took about an hour for her to shake it off.  When they're little, they just play to exhaustion.  Be safe all.</font>

Top Bottom