BEAR #2!!!

dthome

Reaction score
No, I didn’t harvest a second bear. Most of you know that I already punched mybear tag during archery season (http://www.jesseshunting.com/showthread.php/264790-2018-Archery-Bear-Success), but I had such a close encounter with another bear, that I’m considering it my second bear of the year (and I got video!).

I hunted a new area last night (for deer), and saw a ton of both deer and bear sign. I climbed to a good vantage overlooking foraging grounds, and just waited. I arrived at about 5:00pm, and around 6:00, I could hear a bear coming down the hill to forage. He never appeared in the open, but there was no doubt what it was. Then, about 6:15, I heard another bear coming down the mountain. I obviously wasn’t hunting bear, so I put my rifle down, pulled out my phone, and put it on video mode. When the bear got close enough, I started recording. I was blown away when this guy appeared at 8 yards below me. As you can see, this guy is a very respectable bear. Shortly after he steps into the open, he stops short, when I’m certain he caught my scent. But I think he caught the scent I left on the ground and vegetation, because you can see him smelling the surrounding area (where I climbed up an hour prior). It’s only when the wind swirls and brings my scent to him that he realizes I’m right friggin’ nearby, and he hightails it out of there. Unreal!!!

Turn up the volume so you can hear this guy: https://youtu.be/POCxNtFSJN0

Last edited:

Stevehazard

Reaction score
About as close as I was able to get to some of the bears last week. The big one I saw looked just like that one starting at 2:15 when it's hauling ass out of there!

As far as a bear encounter goes my daughter, mom, and the dog ran into a mama bear and here two cubs during the summer. They come around the corner of some bushes and the cubs are climbing up a tree and the mama bear is maybe 10 yards away or less at the bottom. The dog runs right up to the bear and it stands on its back legs and lets out some pissed off roars of stay the hell away. Dog decided it didn't want to try and play with a bear anymore. Needless to say my daughter doesn't really like bears anymore, LOL.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
He was there and such a good shot was available, Smart Bear there was something in the air, hunkered down behind the bush and when he got a snoot full of you he bugged out, like now !
Great video ! no shaking at all.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Needless to say my daughter doesn't really like bears anymore, LOL.
OMG... that's sad and hilariously funny at the same time! "No honey... THESE are what Bears are really like..."

Kentuck

Reaction score
Very cool. Had you walked on that path earlier, or was the wind just starting to swirl?

I watched a bear walk across a meadow I had walked across a couple of hours earlier. When it hit my trail it hightailed it back out of there.

Roy t

Reaction score
No, I didn’t harvest a second bear. Most of you know that I already punched mybear tag during archery season (2018 Archery Bear Success), but I had such a close encounter with another bear, that I’m considering it my second bear of the year (and I got video!).

I hunted a new area last night (for deer), and saw a ton of both deer and bear sign. I climbed to a good vantage overlooking foraging grounds, and just waited. I arrived at about 5:00pm, and around 6:00, I could hear a bear coming down the hill to forage. He never appeared in the open, but there was no doubt what it was. Then, about 6:15, I heard another bear coming down the mountain. I obviously wasn’t hunting bear, so I put my rifle down, pulled out my phone, and put it on video mode. When the bear got close enough, I started recording. I was blown away when this guy appeared at 8 yards below me. As you can see, this guy is a very respectable bear. Shortly after he steps into the open, he stops short, when I’m certain he caught my scent. But I think he caught the scent I left on the ground and vegetation, because you can see him smelling the surrounding area (where I climbed up an hour prior). It’s only when the wind swirls and brings my scent to him that he realizes I’m right friggin’ nearby, and he hightails it out of there. Unreal!!!

Turn up the volume so you can hear this guy:
Awesome, yeah they sure know when you're around, soon as he figured out a human was around he just stopped dead in his tracks. Lotsa bears out right now. Good video, ya ain't sceeerdatall

RayO

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that cool video.

Top Bottom