Bear Baiting Pics from Southern Manitoba

Bagabuck

Reaction score
Set up my for the sping bear season here in Manitoba and checked after a couple of days. I have deer scrapes from last fall that I saved from butchering, deer pellet food which they really like and some fryer grease. It's pretty early yet but I wanted to get started a soon as all the snow was out of the bush to try to get an early hunt in before they start to rub off the fur as seems to happen closer to June.
This is all I had a visitors:

Close up

close up

dgl1948

Reaction score
They are out along the Qu,appelle river system here so you should have action soon.

wildebeast

Reaction score
Nice looking setup. I know it would be risky the fisher, but sure would like to see some up close and personal pictures of them. We don't have them in our area and they are interesting animals. This summer I might go into the high country and try to see if we have any pine martin left after the volcano erupted and destroyed a lot of country.

Sometimes I set an Olympus 380 in locations where a bear might rip the camera and use the more costly sony's set in a safer distance. Or you could try a 35 mm owl camera up close, bears love to eat them LOL

cliff

Bagabuck

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wildebeast @ Apr 19 2008, 06:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sometimes I set an Olympus 380 in locations where a bear might rip the camera and use the more costly sony's set in a safer distance. Or you could try a 35 mm owl camera up close, bears love to eat them LOL

cliff[/b]
I have set my cameras on bear bait about 15 feet up a tree on a bracket and haven't (knock on wood) had any bears harm them yet. I watched one climb the tree and smell it but I think because they have all legs holding on to the tree they are in no position to start chewing.

Willy4003

Reaction score
This cam was on a deer trail in late April last year.
Pythons go on end of March now....just to be safe.

Bagabuck

Reaction score
I wonder if it would help to keep the bears from chewing if you put something like cayenne pepper or some kind of pet deterent on the camera case???

Advertisement

Top Bottom