Bear By Forest Falls / Angelus Oaks?

Zanglo

Hi everyone, this is my first post here though I’ve been reading this forum for a while. My question is for bear season this year. I’ve e scouted with Onx, read everything I could get my hands on, and scoured just about every thread on every forum, and even made a few Reddit posts. I’m stationed on Camp Pendleton and live in Oceanside, so travel time is a big factor on what I can do. I’ve called the CDFW San Bernardino office, and they weren’t too helpful, and I understand that nothing really makes up for time in the woods. Between sickness in the family, a recent deployment, and getting married I just wasn’t able to do much. Where I grew up you could just drive 20 minutes any direction and find a clear cut on a logging road to glass. From what I’ve learned it’s rained a ton so it should be a good year for acorns, and they should be ready soon. Does anyone know what elevation they are likely to be found in? I also know they need constant water. Does anyone know any springs / creeks in the area that don’t dry up? Anything would be a big help. Haven’t hunted anything since I joined the military, this years been tough and I’d like to get out and forget about everything for a while.

However I know information doesn’t come for free, I can trade info for duck/deer for southwest Washington and central Idaho, and if that doesn’t interest you if I’m successful there’s definitely a bear steak involved for your troubles. Thank you I’m advance

Turtle30

Hey Zanglo, Bear hunting is pretty tough in the SBNF. There just arn't that many bears. If you look at the harvest stats, there are only 10 to 20 bears killed each year in D14 and there are 3000 guys with deer tags for that zone. Gotta figure a lot of those 3000 also have a bear tag...

I have hunted up there 6 or 8 times and I have only seen one bear track, up near Fish creek in the San Gregorio Wilderness area.

I will be up there this weekend looking for a deer, send me a PM if you are hunting this weekend.

Zanglo

Yeah we were up there for 2 1/2 days and saw nothing. Even the day before the season started. I saw tons of deer tracks, but the only life I saw was squirrels and flies. Good luck!

Top Bottom