Bear Cam

Surveyor

Reaction score
Guys, i've read as many posts as I could, sucessfully built a cam and even had it out in the field for a couple rolls of film. Needless to say I got pics of birds and squirrels and lots with nothing identifyable on them. Great fun. Drove out 90 miles last nite to check cam and put second one out to discover a suspected Bear attack. He smacked the "ammo" can case arround pretty good then ate the rubber switch guards and even pulled the "toggles " right out of the switches. I say suspected as the film is not back yet and may never show anything if the whole roll was exposed befor he decided to test the cam. By the way it looks like the "can" did the job and should be back for more as soon as I can replace the switches etc.
 Anyone have any ideas on Bear repellant?:smile-big-blue::smile-big-blue:

wvhunter

Reaction score
Been there, done that!!  :)  Hope you got some good pictures and looking forward to seeing them.  But just think if you hadn't built it yourself you wouldn't know how to fix it.  That's one of the best parts of building your own cam if something breaks or a bear knocks it around you know how to put it back together again.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Surveyor, Welcome to JHP. I don't have to worry about bears where I live so I can't give you any tips. Dave and some others on here have to deal with them so I'm sure they can give you a few ideas.  I can't wait to see your pics. Maybe you got a close up of the bear who beat up your cam. LOL

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Welcome Surveyor!

I have asked this before and maybe you can anwer it!

"So What do Bear Tonsils Look Like"?    he he

Tinhorn

MBullism

Reaction score
Surveyor, definately...welcome!  I don't have to worry about bears in my neck of the woods either (we got 'em in western mass, but a sighting a few miles from me last year made the papers...)  I do however build my cams in modified ammo cans to protect them from two legged "bears"...  the two legged kind with vandalism or thievery on their minds are far more dangerous than the four leggers, LOL.  Glad your cam works, hope you got some pics for your trouble.  WVH is right, you built it...  you can make it stronger than it was, faster than it was, more powerful than a, er, well you get the idea!

M

Surveyor

Reaction score
As I suspected the film was all exposed befor the "attack" I'm still wrestling with multiple exposures. One of these days I'll get it right.  I did get a picture of an elk's nose on a previous roll. Will post when I can.

BackWoods

Reaction score
If you dont want that Bear to touch your camera again, take a CO2 cartridge and wrap it with a piece of meat and hang it just below your camera.  When he bites it BANG.

Please dont actually do this!  This is just a joke!

davered1

Reaction score
I think you pretty much have to grin and "bear" the attacks. I do, I use the GSI lexan containers and they can't seem to bite through it. I will just recamo them in july.

passgas55

Reaction score
We had bears on our old hunting lease, one of the few places that had bears in La. How about hot pepper powder on your box?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome Surveyor.

Someone way back mentioned putting spikes on their ammo can. I don't remember how it turned out though. Try searching under "Bear" in this forum and see what pops out.

Anyone else remember the spike idea? Or was it spikes on their treestand to keep them out. Severe brain fade tonight.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom