• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Bear Hunting Style

What is your preferred method of hunting bear?

• Bait

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Hounds

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Incidental Take While Hunting Other Big Game

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • Predator Calls

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Spot and Stalk

Votes: 50 47.2%
  • Track Through Snow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please Describe)

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

RIFLEMAN

My personal ethic relating to the hunting of bear dictates that I only take a black bear if it has been caught by my dogs. I do not oppose any method so long as it is not detrimental to the long-term health and survival of the species, regardless of whether or not it is deemed to be "sporting."

Though I will never indulge in other methods, I will defend those who choose to pursue bear in a manner different from my own.

BGH831

Keep them wild and alive and thriving! But if i have a tag it's season and I catch em' in the apple orchard

fairchase

I hunt spot and stalk and like it most for all big game, but I do like to hunt bears over bait too...alot, it's just a ton of work to do it all solo. That being said, I'll be out this spring.

Greg

bare_slayer

I bait most of the time but I also spot and stalk. The nice thing about baiting is you get to see alot of bear activity, even if a guy doesn't shoot one. I spend days out there just watchin the sows and cubs playing around the baits, and have quite a bit of neat video that I rewatch from time to time. They are a fasinating animal, and everyone of them has thier own personality traits.

smallblockfuelie

This will be my first year hunting bear and I will be doing the spot and stalk method. The hound hunting does sound like a lot of fun and that it would present you with a better opportunity to size the bear up and to determine it isnt a lactating sow.

PlacerCountyNWTF

Hunting with hounds is a great American pastime and you will have the time of your life. But be careful!! Once it is in your blood and you hear the awesome sound of a hound treed, it is in your blood forever and you can't get enough. It got my Dad divorced...

dikatry

The only two bears I have killed have both been on deer hunts. This year Im planning a hunt in Trinity. I think Ill be doing some spot and stalk. Since baiting is illegal in Cali.

David R

My answer is other. This will be my first year bear hunting . I am going with Elmer Fudd so I am not sure how we are going to do it.

Rooselk

Baiting or hounds are not an option where I live since both are illegal. That leaves spot and stalk as the only option.

DEERSLAM

Other;

I take all of my bears by setting up a treestand or ground blind over a food source or water.
I have called bears in with a predator call but have passed...too small.

Willy4003

I hunt bear only with a bow and over bait. It is a lot of work, but it really pays off. The encounters you get are unbelievable. They are fascinating creatures and very difficult to place a perfect shot on with a bow. You have to be patient and show great self-control if you are going to be successful with a bow. Sorry, had to seize the opportunity.

oak123

nothing is better than hunting bears with a pack of good hounds.. purely enjoyable.. purely sport.. purely great

waldo2382

Since there is a lot of thick brush around here, baiting works, but sometimes those big brown bears show up and we're not allowed to shoot them over bait. Spot and stalk from a boat is very productive and is how I tend to shoot them. This spring I hope to have the Bear Baiting Class Certificate to allow me to set out a bait barrel and next fall I hope I can spot and stalk one of those Brown Bears.

Top Bottom