Bear know it alls

.300Savage

Reaction score
Hey Im new to the activily presuing predatores thing and want to gather more info to use against them. I was looking at BTKR's posts and it got me thinken. How habitual are bears? I have seen a few areas both on our property and public lands that I hunt and have hunted that eather hold a number of bears or one that deffinately uses the same trail. any good books/sights/ect. for good reading material on stuff I should know. when you find and area that looks promissing whats the next step?

with out the use of dogs. I am not against dog i just don't have any yet

Last edited:

billythekidrock

Reaction score
I hope it is ok to post links here.
Lots of good bear info here.
Bear Hunting

And more here.
Bears East Adventures New Black Bear Forum - Home?

Bears can be predictably unpredictable. That said, yes, they can be predictable at times. They will always be where the food is and you will need to follow the current food source.
As for your next step, learn the local food sources, find where they are currently feeding and stay with them over the next few weeks or until season starts.

You can also learn to call bears.
Hunting Washington Article on Calling Bears

Education of a Bear Hunter is some good bear hunting reading by Ralph Flowers. He killed over a 1,000 black bears in Washington state.
Amazon.com: The education of a bear hunter: Ralph Flowers: Books

.300Savage

Reaction score
thanks Billy. I've actually been doing some playing around with calls lately. started with a request from my dental hygenest to help the local coyote population feed on lead instead of pets but, i think this is where it was ment to lead me.

Theres 2 bears in perticular im really after. A mid sized blondy on our property and a BIG one that has left alot of sign in a tight vally I hunted with my wifes uncle. I have a feeling the lader is an old smart boar as, the locals know him to reside there but no one's had any luck. The Blondy a guest of ours took a shot at last season but luckly for me he did not connect. I spotted the Blondy feeding across canyon from us a little less than a month ago not far from where it was missed........ decisions decisions

Latest Posts

Top Bottom