• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Bear Life Cycle in Pictures

dthome

Bears start life as cute little cubs

DSCF0877.jpg

Then, bears like to do a little swimming in the mud

IMG_2155[1].jpg

Then, bears get big and fat

06060146.jpg

Then, bears forget that they are delicious, and they get shot

IMG_0588.jpg

Then, bears get skinned and butchered

IMG_0605.jpg

Then, bears get seasoned and beautifully browned

IMG_2200[1].jpg

Then, bears get braised for 4-5 hours

IMG_2202[1].jpg

Then, bears get shredded

IMG_2203[1].jpg

Then, bears get placed into tacos

IMG_2204[1].jpg

Finally, bears get eaten. The end.

IMG_2205[1].jpg

Revo2811

Had bear tacos before and it was delicious
But guacamole and salsa makes everything delicious lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Well, there's always the bear poop "in the woods" (post tacos) ...

But don't post a pic of that. :skeered:

OPAH

Bear Tacos, Bearittos, BearBQ, all great ! Never had Elk but for what meats I have had Bear is the Bestest

Bankrunner

Their's nothing like a meal from your own harvest that was brought to the table with the care it deserves.
Here's to enjoying many more in the years to come.

dthome

Their's nothing like a meal from your own harvest that was brought to the table with the care it deserves.
Here's to enjoying many more in the years to come.
No doubt. The fun part about this year’s bear is that my wife, who doesn’t hunt, helped me process the animal and haul it out (she’s amazing). It took us five hours from start to finish, so she is totally vested in the food we make from it. She now refers to all our bear meat as “hers”. She loves it.

Bankrunner

Makes it all the better, I'm happy that my wife and kids enjoy our venison and other wild game as well.
I don't know if your pic represents an average bear as far as fat goes (looks pretty healthy/chunky to me), but do you trim it all off before or after freezing or does some of it go into the pot?
And thanks for the extra motivation i'm taking with me on my next deer hunt.

dthome

You know, the skinned bear in the picture is the only one I’ve ever shot with a seriously thick layer of fat. It was many years ago, but I trimmed it off before freezing, which is critical, because it doesn’t freeze well. It will go rancid over time in the freezer. Most of the other bears had much less fat, so it wasn’t an issue. Looking back, I wish I had rendered the fat, though. It is great for cooking and a number of other uses. Daniel Boone made a living from selling bear fat for many years.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t hesitate shooting a small bear like the one you saw during archery season. The processing is more manageable, which is a significant undertaking with a big bear.

Bankrunner

Now that Daniel Boone was a man.. Go for it on the next one, if it's anything like nice white duck it 'ud be worth a try.
One of these years, and yes, for me a smaller bear would be good for the first go.
Not a bad strategy hunting bear early and deer later.

Top Bottom