Bear Question???

whitetailfan

Reaction score
This may not be the proper place for this question but it kinda relates. My Father-in-Law was asking me what kind of bait or attractant would draw in deer but would NOT attract bear. I was needing to know for cam purposes too. I have areas on the farm where I want to put up cams for Bear only and other areas for Deer only. My Father-in-Law has hunting spots where he dosen't want to confront any feeding bears in the wee hours of the morning. Any suggestions??  Thanks!!

Idaelk

Reaction score
Well meat scraps would be a good choice to attract bears and the deer would leave it alone. I think that just about any grain would also attract bears they are omnivores.

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Get some oil of anise and some vanilla,pancake syrup, marsh mellows, honey,bread, donuts and any kind of sweets and meat.  Dig a hole about 2'around and 8" deep. Place all the goodies in the hole and cover with pancake syrup. Now place heavy rocks on the bait, as heavy as you can lift to keep the small critters out ( a 100 lb.bear will move a 150 lb. rock like it was a feather) now spray the trees and bushes with the anise oil and vanilla. It also helps to do a honey burn. Use a sterno stove or what ever you have and use a small pan. Dump in a small amount of honey and let it born and smoke. The bear can smell this for miles. Sometimes they will come in that evening or it may take a few days, it depends on how many bear you have in that area.
As for baiting deer and not bear that is hard to do. Bear love corn and acorns and they also love venison. During hunting season i would use a doe in heat scent only and that would help. Mike

Latest Posts

Top Bottom