Bear rug

Woody116

Reaction score
Hey all, just found this board.
I am going on my first bear hunt this fall, and although its not too expensive, its still gonna wipe out my hunting account.
If I get a bear, Id like to have a rug done. I know its around $125-$145 per foot to do, and I know it does take a long time to get back.
However, is it possible to just have the hide tanned then made into a rug later? Like, in a couple years or so?
Or, is it better off to work some OT and just get it into a rug right away?

Thanks all

ronnie

Reaction score
Yes you can have it tanned and then at a later date have your rug made. Tanning should run you about $28.00 to $30.00 a foot, hope this helps.

bzzboyz

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
$28.00 to $30.00 a foot,[/b]
You can probably get it done for less if you do all the hard work, like skinning, fleshing and salting.

Taz

Reaction score
Shelf life of a tanned skin is 5-7 years. If you wet it up and freeze it, it will last much longer.

Big_C

Reaction score
Originally posted by Taz@Apr 11 2004, 08:00 AM
Shelf life of a tanned skin is 5-7 years. If you wet it up and freeze it, it will last much longer.
Taz - Could you please clarify that? If I tan a hide for use as a blanket, say, what happens in 5-7 years?

Thanks,
C

Darius

Reaction score
BC,

They both have a shelf life.................. leaving the skin frozen for too long may create freezer burn & harder to split the ears, lips, eyelids & so on..............

Tanning it & leaving it around the house will work.......... but then again too long will dry out the skin & harder to rehydrate for mounting. If the skin doesn't reyhdrate nice than it will reflect in the mount.

Bzz, fleshing, salting & tanning do it at home can save money............ but have had too many people that didn't split the lips, & eyes............& only half way up the ear & again it will reflect in final mount.

Just my
.................. look at the rug on my website for an example

http://www.dariustaxidermy.com/
909-731-2103

Big_C

Reaction score
Lets say all I want is a blanket - no future mount. So I get the hide tanned. Can I periodically treat it with some sort of oil (mink oil?) to prevent it from drying out?

For that matter, what happens when it dries? It shrinks? Fur falls out? ???

Thanks,

C

Darius

Reaction score
BC,

If all you want is a flat skin................ then no worries, once it's professionally tanned you can use it for a long time as a flat skin.

boarhunter67

Banned
Reaction score
If you tan it and try to make it into a rug in a couple of years, it will be too dry and split. This is unless you wet tan it and freeze it like mentioned.

Top Bottom