Bear Skull Finished

dthome

Reaction score
This skull took forever. Lots of grease to remove, but it's done. I decided not to bleach or seal this one, as I want to see what it looks like when it naturally yellows. Check out the broken canine with the root canal showing. It blows my mind to think about the excruciating pain wild animals must endure on a daily basis. Makes me glad for dentists.

Attachments

TheGDog

Reaction score
On the teeth themselves, for the deer ones I've done, I found that gently using a Brass brush, you can get off a lot more of the Tartar from the teeth. And with that peroxide cream, you can carefully apply/dab it just onto the teeth with a brush on the areas with heavy Tartar build up and let it work on those areas a lil longer sometimes, and then the with the Brass brush later it gets off that real stubborn stuff.

With the first 2, I left all those thin sinus bones in there. But on the last one, I said EFF this and tore that out. That area is such a pain because of all the nooks and crannies, it leaves behind lotsa flesh bits you simply can't entirely remove... and it would take me multiple simmers and drying out in the sun sessions to finally finally be rid of the small amount of odor. And that odor will build up in a room if the door is closed and be foul. That's you're sign that you need to do the simmer again, and that it's not all out yet.

And also you can't really get all that flesh in the foramin hole inside and along the jawbone that the nerves run thru. Not unless you're using insects. So it requires "curing" via the peroxide simmer... enough to be thru and thru... to finally finally make the smell be gone.

PS, I envy you brothers that have the Bear Skulls in your collections!

Last edited:

dthome

Reaction score
On the teeth themselves, for the deer ones I've done, I found that gently using a Brass brush, you can get off a lot more of the Tartar from the teeth. And with that peroxide cream, you can carefully apply/dab it just onto the teeth with a brush on the areas with heavy Tartar build up and let it work on those areas a lil longer sometimes, and then the with the Brass brush later it gets off that real stubborn stuff.

With the first 2, I left all those thin sinus bones in there. But on the last one, I said EFF this and tore that out. That area is such a pain because of all the nooks and crannies, it leaves behind lotsa flesh bits you simply can't entirely remove... and it would take me multiple simmers and drying out in the sun sessions to finally finally be rid of the small amount of odor. And that odor will build up in a room if the door is closed and be foul. That's you're sign that you need to do the simmer again, and that it's not all out yet.

And also you can't really get all that flesh in the foramin hole inside and along the jawbone that the nerves run thru. Not unless you're using insects. So it requires "curing" via the peroxide simmer... enough to be thru and thru... to finally finally make the smell be gone.

PS, I envy you brothers that have the Bear Skulls in your collections!
This skull didn't spend any time in simmering water at all. The teeth would crack and flake in a matter of months if cleaned using hot water. This skull spent four months macerating. That removed all the tissue from foramen. Then 2 months in acetone to degrease.

TheGDog

Reaction score
4 mos. maceration? So how do you do it such that the smell isn't an issue?

Acetone huh? Hmmph. Boy, I'd have figured that would weaken the bone, since that stuff is soo harsh on skin. Learn something new everyday!

dthome

Reaction score
I macerate outdoors in an enclosed container. No biggie. I've always used either white gas or acetone for degreasing. Works great.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Nice!
I kinda like the all natural tartar on the teeth and the broken tooth adds a bunch of character.
Off topic kinda but what bear recipe would you recommend to someone who hadn't ever eaten it before and wanted to taste the flavor of the meat?

Wild1

Reaction score
You only need to warm water maceration for about a week or so (at least in my experience). Degreasing is another story - if you want to avoid the yellow coming out, you need to degrease for about 4 to 8 months. Acetone will work though, I like acetone, ammonia and/or dawn liquid detergent as degreasers. I think the skull would be ok with simmering water, but certainly not a hard boil. Looks good!

dthome

Reaction score
You only need to warm water maceration for about a week or so (at least in my experience). Degreasing is another story - if you want to avoid the yellow coming out, you need to degrease for about 4 to 8 months. Acetone will work though, I like acetone, ammonia and/or dawn liquid detergent as degreasers. I think the skull would be ok with simmering water, but certainly not a hard boil. Looks good!
One week is WAY too short. And a simmer will ruin the teeth. I know from experience.

dthome

Reaction score
Nice!
I kinda like the all natural tartar on the teeth and the broken tooth adds a bunch of character.
Off topic kinda but what bear recipe would you recommend to someone who hadn't ever eaten it before and wanted to taste the flavor of the meat?
A traditional roast with potatoes and carrots. Awesome.

Wild1

Reaction score
One week is WAY too short. And a simmer will ruin the teeth. I know from experience.
If one correctly, a week, or so is plenty of time. Simmering will not ruin teeth (if done correctly), but boiling will. I also have some experience, but none with ruining a bear skull.

Attachments

dthome

Reaction score
The few you've done look good, but if you simmered, give it time. Those teeth will flake. Experienced bear hunters know that teeth will flake years later with heat. They are prone to flaking versus deer and other mammals. You'll learn eventually.

Last edited:

Stevehazard

Reaction score
Wild1 what are you using to warm the water and how warm is it? I've been doing a bucket filled with different smaller things and it seems like it is taking forever but I'm not surprised either as it has been really cold out.

And to GDog it doesn't really smell. A little bit when you change the water but not much at all.
The fly traps that people hang up in the summer end up smelling like death more than anything if you ask me.

Wild1

Reaction score
Steve -

You're right, when it's cold outside, it is certainly more challenging. I use a small portable aquarium heater, submerged in the bucket, and wrap the bucket in insulation - works great.

dt - I think I am one of the experienced bear hunters (at least that's what other hunters say). I think you're confusing maceration with degreasing. In your first post you said you decided to skip the bleach - every experienced bear hunter knows you never bleach a skull.

dthome

Reaction score
Wild1, your nonsense is making me tired. The act of bleaching is to whiten through sunlight or a chemical process. I use hydrogen peroxide to bleach my skulls. And anyone who's read your posts knows your lack of knowledge regarding bear biology. Keep at it, you'll learn, albeit slowly.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
So sorry to see your thread is trying to get stepped on!
I really like the way your skull turned out and hope you share again if you get the yellowing you talked about.

Wild1

Reaction score
dthome -

No need to get pissy, pull on your big boy pants. I like your skull, be polite. Oh, for a guy who knows nothing bear biology, I've sure managed to kill quite a few of them. Safe hunting.

Top Bottom