Bear Spray

Archer82

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Im new to hunting and am currently in the process of buying gear for the first time. I dont plan on hunting Bear at the moment but would like to know what Bear Spray is the best ?

Im looking for a spray that I can rely on in the event im out bow hunting for turkey or deer and good ol smokey wants to maul me. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
There is one that they sell at ACE Hardware in Frazier that many people have up here. I dont know of anyone having to use it. Advertised spray distance in 35 ft. $44. You can probably pick it up at any ACE.

dthome

Reaction score
Agree with mudxican. You're not likely to find black bears problematic. Lions may be a different story, but spray won't help you if you never see the threat.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
When I was archery hunting in cali for bears even though they are not likey to attack as the guys mentioned above it probably wasn't necessary but I personally didnt want to take a chance and carried bear mase on me anyways. Just another item to have hanging off your waist with all the other archery gear u have to carry all ready. Then it depends which way the winds blowing when or if u have a face to face encounter u dont want that stuff coming back at u.
Before I left cali I set off my bear spray for the experience of using it, it was pretty cool.
Al I have left now is the mase holder.
U can get bear mase at Wally mart for about $30.
It get as good deal on the internet for a can and holder for a better price.
And yes a few years ago I had a face to face with a black bear at about 25 yrds that stood up and started howling at me, I froze for the first few seconds then when I lifted my bow for a shot all of a sudden it booked out with speed and agility, what a rush, but I never thought about my besr spray I had on me at the time......lol
So do what makes u feel comfortable while hunting for bears its just another option and personal choice. U don't want to end up on that show ( I WAS PREY ).....lol Good luck!......tra

20200228_081503.jpg

20200228_081605.jpg

Sawfish

Reaction score
FYI. Bear spray does carry an expiration date. Most of the guys that I see carrying bear spray have expired product. Probably will work to some extent, but verifying that could be a painful process.

wedgy

Reaction score
Depending on where you are hunting/hiking etc. bear behavior can be different. Yes, black bears do attack, and they climb trees very well. If the danger is high consider carrying both spray and a pistol because it's hard to spray a bear in the face when he's on top of you. It can happen before you even know there's a bear around.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I worry more about a fall than a bear. A “spot” would be ahead of spray on my list.

But I don’t carry either.

MUDXICANHNTER

Reaction score
Some people have hunted many years and have yet to see a bear while hunting so I personally wouldn’t put to much into it but to each there own.

Limited Out

Reaction score
I worked in bear country for 16 years. I can say this with certainty California Black Bears are way more interested in food than fighting with very few exceptions. I would show them respect, but I wouldn't fear them if I had any type of firearm.

Top Bottom