Bear with 3 tags? Mt. Baldy area archery bear 2013.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'm told a bear was checked in with 3 tags, one in each ear and one hunting tag. The bowhunter was an older gent who wanted a bear. He's going to mount it also.

Would you mount it with ear tags or take them out? The ear tags would remind me of our cows we had on the farm so I would take them out.

Sorry no pic, I'm told it would not go over well if it got out.

Bayboy2020

Reaction score
Keep the tags but take them out. I saw Michael Waddell kill a collard deer and ppl where pissed. The deer was apart of a study but wandered out of the study area onto private property

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
A buddy of mine shot a pig on a WMA one time. It had tags in both ears and had been cut. When the officer asked him what he had gotten, he said "I think I got one of those transvestite pigs; two earrings and no nuts!" He mounted it with both tags as a good memory. It doesn't look bad because the tags aren't very big; just little aluminum ovals smaller than a dime.

KTKT70

Reaction score
lol. that's to funny. But where do you hunt bear with tags. I have seen these bears up in kings canyon and the tags are or were big purple cow tags. They have a big number on them so you can see it from far away. Was this bear all legal begal or is there more to the story yet to come?

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
i blasted a pigeon on the cuzzins ranch (in season) go up to in and it got a tag on it scared the shit out of me i thought nasa would be coming to my house haha :)

Mt Goat

Reaction score
I'd personally have no issues with shooting an ear tagged bear, deer Ora collared bear or deer. I don't know any laws that says its illegal. The tag and collar to record the animals movements and life. Once it's harvested it's the end of its life. Notify the tag or collar owners and give them the info of where it was taken and they can record the information, and start a new study.

As far as the ear tags I'd take them out and do a separate unique mount with the skull and some of the claws, it would look cool.

jls456

Reaction score
Tags still in would look different,but cool.

slanttop357

Reaction score
Bottom line they wont need to worry where that dam Bear is anymore:lol bashing sign:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Bear was legally taken and checked by a warden. With the ear tags it was a problem bear that had been moved before.

Fatboy18

Reaction score
I think it would take away from the aesthetics of the bear but on the other hand if you were able to get the info gained by its tags it could add to the story of the take. Either way its still meat in the freezer! Congrats to him!!!

solus

Reaction score
For those who do not know. Tags and rings dont make it illegal they are just being studied. All they ask is that you report the animal being taken. I have killed dove with a ring around its leg. It had a number on it to call. You get to keep the ring/tag and they send you info of when it was tagged and how old it is(roughly). As for the bear; Ive only heard of them tagging problem bears. The good bears that are being monitored are usually collard like deer.

Top Bottom