Bearded Hen?

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
Took a new cam to the camp and got a couple of turkey pics.  I'm no turkey hunter, but I think the first pic is of a bearded hen.  There has been one other seen on our property about 3 years ago.  I was using a Canon Owl AF(round dial) with the MS20 sensor and it's built in 2 min time delay.  Let me know if you think it's a hen.  I included some jakes for you to compare it to.

http://community.webshots.com/user/simplearkansan

(Edited by SIMPLEARKANSAN at 9:34 pm on May 12, 2002)

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Even though something looks a little odd, I don't have any better quess than a beard.  I have taken a couple bearded hens, but nothing of that length.  3 to 4 inches or so.  They are a lot more common than Antlered does.  Nice pics though.   You ought to be  a turkey Hunter.  You will absolutely love the sport if you like hunting anything at all.   It's like the extreme version of deer hunting.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Looks to be a bearded hen to me,i have seen one hen that had a beard nearly dragging the ground once.

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Bearded hen alright! We have a couple on our property also. The one must have an 8"+ beard. I've watched her feed in the yard about 15 feet from the cabin window on quite a few occasions. One day she even hopped up on the step just outside the screen door and tried to get a look inside!

woodsman

Reaction score
I'm new at this ,turkey hunting for 4 years ,what happens if you check in a hen with a beard during the non hen season?
It's an easy mistake with all the exitment of a turkey comeing in range all you see is the beard do you shoot or ? :skeered:

whitetailfan

Reaction score
Woodsman, In NC, there is no such thing as hen season. Only Tom's can be taken. If however you see a bearded hen, you are free to take it. But that's the only way anyone in NC will be shooting a hen legally.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Just like antlerd Deer, any bearded hen is legal is arkansas.  I try not to shoot them now,  sometimes you just can't resist.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
It's the same in Missouri, it's legal to take  a "Bearded" turkey or a gobbler during the spring season.   Some Gobblers don't have beards for some reason, but if it's a male turkey, he's legal  (anything is legal in the Fall Season, hen or gobbler)

Tinhorn

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Hey Tinhorn,You want to be carefull,I have heard hens Gobble,That would be a tuff one to explain.:surprised-purple:

woodsman

Reaction score
Here in mass we can take both in the fall season given the fact you have not allready taken one (Gobbler) in the spring.
(hens Gobble)??

(Edited by woodsman at 6:27 am on May 14, 2002)

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 They are able to gobble Yes, and i have seen it once,And I was surprised,I didnt know they could or would gobble,it was during bow season and i think it was out of frustration more than anything.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I shot a bearded hen a few years ago, I thought it was a jake and it was my last day to hunt. I think they should let you shoot another bird, if your first one was a bearded hen! But, I ended up getting a nice tom in the fall season, so I guess it all evened out!

wvhunter

Reaction score
I shot a bearded hen a few years ago that had a 7" beard on it.  In WV you can take two birds in the spring (both must be bearded and only one per day).  In the fall we can take 1 bird of either sex.

That is a great picture.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
We had chickens when I lived at home and Old Hens would start crowing and grew waddles, just like roosters, so I bet old Turkey Hens mite do something similiar.

I also got a bearded hen that had a 6" beard and was pretty heavy for a hen.

Here is a Pix of a Gobbler (Male) my Movement Camera got the other day that is so perfect, it looks like a fake!

http://www.nightowl.net/~tinhorn/Gobbler.jpg

Tinhorn

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Now that is a great pic,to bad you didnt see him in range during the season.he will be there this fall though.

Top Bottom