Bears

homer

Reaction score
I recently finished my first camera, brought it out back, strapped it a tree near a trail. When I went back to check it three days later it seemed to have been mauled by a bear. the camera had taken two snap shot of the critter, but it was so close to the camera that all I got was mass of hair before the camera shut down. So my question is why is a bear interested in my camera?                                                                                                                                                                                  Homer

Strutter

Reaction score
I read on here somewhere that the smell of the film was attractive to bears for some reason.  

Strutter

marmot

Reaction score
{there were some problems you'all might want to consider when using them for bears.}

1. They (the bears) truned the switch off.
2. They licked bear snot and dirt onto the glass camera cover EVERY TIME!
3. They knocked the TC sideways on the tree several times.
4. They bit holes in the sensor and distroyed the sensor lens.
5. They are trying to eat the red LED lights but so far they have survived.
6. They are working at opening the ammo can but so far it has stayed closed.

Our next generation TC's will address all these problems.

I posted this on another thread and it describes some of the problems I have experienced. I think most of these concerns can be remedied.

Fubar

Reaction score
Seems to me, the bears like the smell and or taste of the cams. I was wondering if there is something we can put on the cams to make them not so appealing to them? Maybe skunk scent or something? Anybody have any ideas?          Fubar

gizz

Reaction score
I've heard bears don't like pepper. Maybe you could dump some pepper on the top of the cam. That bear would snort some and probably go nuts...hopefully not on your cam.
The bears didn't bother my cam last week when I got about 18 pictures of bears but then again the had a wide open corn crib to keep them busy.

marmot

Reaction score
Possibly full strength ammonia would back them away for a while. Any other smell would just attract their attention.

A bears reaction to just about anything new in it's area is to bite it. I have holes in my airplane, holes in my stands, holes in my cabin, you name it, I have a bear bite in it. The fix I am planning is to make a plate that mounts around the camera window and tack weld a bunch of sharp nails onto it. I may also put them all over the box so they won't hammer on it all the time.

The box will be about like carrying a porcupine around....well, I guess that's another problem to solve.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
C'mon up to Ontario bear hunting this fall.I promise you that it will get no better then this.It is so dry that you'd think we were part of California.The bears are invading anything that looks like food as their normal diet has all but dried up.There are some big fellas up here too,I saw one that was hit by a train that (I would estimate)would have gone 400 or 500 pounds.If you were ever thinking in investing in the trip,this is the year!

Grump

wildcat

Reaction score
Sounds great Grump. Sure glad me and the hubby will be there next month. Im thinkin theres a real good chance we'll be bringin us home some nice Ontario bears...*S* Dobbers says there hittin the bait hard out at his place..*YES* *S* See ya in a few weeks ..............wildcat

wildcat

Reaction score
Sounds great Grump!!! Sure glad me and the hubby will be out your way in a few more weeks.Thinkin theres a real good chance we will be bringin us home some nice Ontario bears...*S* Dobbers says there hittin the baits real hard, so looks good can hardly wait to get there!!! See ya soon wildcat

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Grump, so Wildcat coming up to hunt with you and Dobber? Our bear season is still a few weeks off and the population is doing very good here in the Golden state.

Take some good pics Wildcat of that big hairy, slobbering animal. Take some of Grump and the bear too. :D

colby18

Reaction score
well fellas I got my bear tag yesterday and hopefully will head out this weekend.  I've never been before but my buddy and his dad have.  I'm heading out to d8, I don't know if any of you are familiar with that zone.  We will most likely be using the spot and stalk method.  Does anyone have any suggestions, pointers, or secrets.  
thanks,
colby

2curljohnny

Reaction score
i'm not familiar with D8 colby but  in the b zones this time of year, as well as D8, i'd recommend finding out where a few gut piles lay and start there.we have plenty of access on logging roads and if you do also  keep moving on them.hounds are definately the best method besides baiting, which I didn't recommend:roll-wink-green: good luck and be carefull

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Bear Hunting 7
P304X4 Campfire 0
dthome Bear Hunting 12
F Bear Hunting 6
F Bear Hunting 2

Top Bottom