because I'm a broadhead whore...

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I picked up a pack of the Rocket Ultimate Steel 125's. I'm supposed to be familiar with them so I figured what the heck, what's one more to add to the collection?

One word, WOW! And I honestly mean that 100%, affiliation aside. They have supposedly fixed the previous problems of blade retention and short threads on the ferrule. I can't possibly see how you might be able to break one of these blades or lose a blade on a critter. They also screwed plenty far into my Gold Tips so no problem there either. Time will tell but I would have no reservations using these now, even given their prior history.

The first thing I noticed was they had without a doubt the sharpest factory blades I've ever handled, not to mention how thick and meaty they were. I really had to be careful putting a head together and once built it looked and felt rock solid. I love an all steel broadhead. I screwed one on, spun it, looked perfect. I set up my brand new Yellow Jacket in the backyard. Stepped back to 20 yards and took a shot. It was dead silent in flight (a huge improvement over the Montecs and Slick Tricks I've been shooting lately), but upon impact I heard a loud THWOCK! Perfect placement, absolutely dead centered the spot. I walked over to the target and tried to pull the arrow. Wouldn't budge. Looked behind the target to find the head buried 1/2" into a 2x4 on the fence, hence the thwock. I was quite amazed at the penetration, and not one hint of damage to the head. No nicks or rolling of the blades at all and still quite sharp. I've shot a ton of different heads into Yellow Jacket targets and have never had one make it through. This one blew 6" through the back AND buried in the fence. I need to do some longer range testing but I really like this head. This one might take the #1 spot in the quiver soon.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Admitting there is a problem is step one. But I don't count higher than that.

Hope they work out for you, their previous were pushed pretty hard to me by someone we all know in San Diego, and they were nice to look at, but lost blades like it was meant to be.

Even those were nasty sharp out of the package. The tight points were sharp too, but those have other issues as well.

Still 6 to a pack, or three for $40 like the rest of the heads now adays?

And for the record I am glad you are a broadhead whore, otherwise I would be called out by Ed, and I don't want any reason for him to call me out.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Good point Zeke, still 6 to a pack. Which puts them in a price range nearly 1/2 as much as some of the competition. I really don't see these things losing blades, but like I said time will tell. I certainly have no reservations giving them a shot in the field. From just scrutinizing their construction by eye and feel, compared to some of the other heads I've successfully used on game, these things are a Sherman tank compared to a Yugo. They literally make some others in my collection feel downright flimsy.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Good to know.

I wonder if they'd swap three or so packs of the ejector sets for the new and improved.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Nate, why is out of the package sharpness important to you? I know you fish offshore, and like I used to, I'm sure you're always touching up the hooks with a file. I do the same with my broadheads. I'm always hitting them with a diamond file, every day when I'm out hunting. Anything sharp from the factory can be made much sharper by me. Slicks included.. And I've found my edges last longer than factory edges. That's why I'm always puzzled by folks complaining about Montecs out of the package.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Completely agreed. I don't mind sharpening heads, I know some complain about it but I really don't consider it a downside. My point was not meant to be taken as a complaint, but rather an observation. Regarding Montecs, the only real complaint I can come up with is that they are really loud in flight out of my set up. I know most folks will say it doesn't matter to game but I'm not 100% convinced. Regardless, it annoys me and with this kind of trip on the line I don't want to go around the world to shoot at super jumpy critters like impala and duiker with a whistling broadhead.

I know some folks get lucky and shoot Montecs out of their set ups without noise. I'm not that fortunate or I probably would have probably ended the broadhead search right there.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I consider it a valid complaint, but not because I will hunt with them as received from the factory, but because they should be nasty sharp.

If I buy a new knife I expect that thing to shave my arm smooth as a baby's butt with no effort. They are advertising the steel's sharpenabliity with how you receive them.

If Hellrazors or Snuffer SS were available when I committed to Montecs, the montecs would never have seen my quiver.

Otherwise they are a solid head, but unimpressive at first glance with the marks from the mold, and crappy sharpening.

DMC

Reaction score
They are VERY sharp outa the box. They shoot perfect for me outa my Guardian. Shot my buck with them last yr. Never found the arrow because I saw it skip off into oblivion after a clean pass through at 56 yds. I tested them for noise also they were very quiet. I personally think noise in flight is way more crittical than some think. I think more deer duck the noise than jump the string.

Here is the buck.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Couldn't you have tested them on a decent sized buck instead of that yearling?

Obviously I am joking, that is a monster.

Damn it nate, now my interest in up. I will tell my wife you are to blame.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
Fight the urge Bear, don't do it.....LoL!

Broadhead Ho!!!

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Well if Nate's the ho I is be hs ho n trynin.

And DMC let's hear the full story of that buck. That's a monster for sure.

One Track

Reaction score
SD:

You change broadheads like I change underwear - every week or so. I am still shooting the Wac 'ems you sold me on six months ago. Love 'em. I'm sure the Rockets are awesome too, especially if you are shooting them.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Wacem's fly wonderfully, are super sharp and penetrate well. With a perfect rib hit, they are great. But after multiple blades breaking off from bone hits on even our small deer (happened twice), and on a centered rib hit on a Tejon hog (actually even targets too), I've begun to look elsewhere. I've recently come to the conclusion that there just isn't enough meat to the blades. Once the base of a blade is locked into the ferrule, the only thing holding it there is less than 1/8" in front of the blade and the equally small piece of metal holding it onto the back of the blade. That is due to the blade vents. From an engineering standpoint, any lateral torsion applied to the blade (like from a spinning broadhead impacting bone) is going to show weakness at these two places. I've got at least 3 or 4 of them with the cutting area of the blade broken off and the base of it still stuck in the ferrule. If the blades were thicker, or if the vents were designed in such a way as to allow for more metal holding the cutting surface of the blade onto the base of the blade, I again would have ended my broadhead search right there.

I know guys have great success with them, and maybe I'm just overly critical, but I've recently lost confidence in them. I like stuff that is super strong and resistant to breakage.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
In my experience this is where (see the red lines) they break. If you look at it and think about it, it would not take much lateral pressure to cause a blade to break off here. It's a only a miniscule amount of rather thin metal and there is nothing else holding the cutting part of the blade on the head.

Attachments

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Now compare that to this... You can tell just by looking that it would take a lot more force to break one of these off. Not to mention that the blades are .036 thick, versus the .027 of the Wac'ems. Actually they are even beefier in person than they appear in this photo. In reality those holes are really small.

Again, I'm not saying that the Wac'ems are a bad choice. I just prefer to use something else now because of my personal experience.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Now compare that to this... You can tell just by looking that it would take a lot more force to break one of these off. Not to mention that the blades are .036 thick, versus the .027 of the Wac'ems.

Again, I'm not saying that the Wac'ems are a bad choice. I just prefer to use something else now because of my personal experience.

Attachments

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
DMC how much bone did you go through? Details. I also agree with the noise issue especially on deer.

SD get them on a pig and lets see how they do....... sure looks good.

I have 9 heads to go through before I can switch. Right now I'm happy with the noise and bone crushing on the Shuttle. But it's fun to hear about new stuff.

Thanks for the info guys.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Just did a little messing around with some scrap 11/16" engineered american elm hardwood flooring planks. This stuff is super hard. From left to right, Rocket Ultimate Steel, Slick Trick Standard, and Wac'em. All 125's shot from 20 yards with a 418 gr arrow at 270 fps. As pictured, the Rocket made it through the furthest.

The second photos illustrates the after shots. Both the Rocket and the Slick trick sustained minimal damage. Just some minor blade nicks. The Wac'em did what I figured it would. Completely broke off a blade right where they usually break. Then it also cracked another blade at the back when it goes into the ferrule. The Wac'em on the left is the one I shot into the wood. The one on the right is one I pulled from a 110 lb local doe shot last year. Exact same results.

Attachments

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Good review bud, I agree.

You sure got a purty mouf.

I want a totally machined stainless steel head that costs $15 a 15 pack and comes scary sharp out of the box.

I'd like to see a montec in that same test. They aren't replaceable so is a different animal, but I have sent one thru the side of a 2x12 and one into a solid concrete wall, both of which are still practice heads, hell two days ago I hit a heavy guage nail that I use as a target holder and just barely bent the bitter end of the tip. Pushed the dang nail a good eight inches into the most dense target I have ever used.

And hunting I have gone thru one shoulder blade and one humerus on quartering to shots that the Montec cut/busted like it was Paris.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
So Ed wouldn't feel left out, I shot a Muzzy too.

Not bad at all. The picture quality sucks but the after shot shows the head intact. The ferrule is bent so it wont spin, and the blades are a little warped, but no breakage.

Attachments

Top Bottom