Been checked for License?

OC hunter

Reaction score
Songdog wrote:

I've averaged over 100 days a year in the field for close to 20 years now.  In all that time, I've never been checked for a license... even at the refuges(unless you count the checkstation where you fill out your card).

I haven't hunted nearly as much as that, but I have been checked twice.  Once on opening day for Dove near Indio and once on opening day for Quail near Victorville.

How has everyone else done?

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
In 30 years of hunting Calif. I've been checked 2 times in the field, once at a checkpoint (China Lake), and once on a pheasant club.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
In 20 years I have only been checked a small handful of times.  

I was checked once on a duck hunt back in NC.  The warden was on autopilot, and after checking my brother and two more hunters, he asked if my shotgun was plugged.  Since it was a double-barrel, and I was feeling smart-alecky, I said, "no."  
Took him a second to wake up and realize what he was doing.

In California, besides the refuge checkstations, I've been checked twice.  Once in the park at Coalinga Mineral Springs while trying to find some shade on a 114 degree A-zone day. The other was during a duck hunt way back in the San Joaquin river.  

Bodie

Reaction score
I have been checked twice this season already.  Once while Dove hunting at Yolo (September) and once on the duck opener (Oct. 13th) at Colusa.  

At Yolo the guy was sitting in parking lot F checking people as they came out of the field at sunset.

At Colusa there were two wardens a male and a female.  They were dressed up as hunters (waiters, camo jacket, shotgun, and ducks on a strap).  They came up to my buddy and I and made small talk like they were interested in how we did.  Then a few minutes into the conversations they took their jackets off and infomed us that they were wardens.  Luckily, all of our stuff was legal, nothing to hide or stress about.  Sneaky approach though, especially with asking us questions, prior to identifying themselves.  I bet they get a lot of info this way.

limit7

Reaction score
Four times in 30+ years.  Three times on state refuges and once dove hunting on BLM.  Every time the agents very professional and polite and even directed me to some different spots.

songdog

Reaction score
I should qualify the above quote with the fact that I've always had a license, stamps, tags, etc. even though I've never been checked in the field.

How about part two to the question - how many people do you know for a fact that don't have a license when hunting/fishing?

Although I won't hunt with them, I know at least two guys who get deer tags for their wife each year so they can shoot four deer.  Their wives don't even know which end of the gun is the dangerous one let alone how to hunt.

Brian S

Reaction score
  In 18 years of hunting I have been checked about 12 times. Four years in a row in d-11 for deer. The only time I got in trouble was on my first deer hunt  I was 13 or 14 and had my tag but forgot my license at home. The game warden tried to scare me a little since I was a green horn. He ended up giving me a warning and let me go. I am always legal with licenses or tags but I do get hassled once in a while for being in the wrong area( victorville desert).
Brian

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I've been checked 3 times, twice in Imperial Valley.  The first one was a nightmare (I'll let Foulshot tell that story).

The second was in CNF while turkey hunting.

The third was this year in Imperial Valley, really nice guy, just wanted to check us out.  This warden was one of the good guys.

Mojave

Reaction score
I was checked out at Kern a few times, years ago, but have not been checked while hunting, recently. I have had the Sheriff, and occasionally a Ranger drive by, slow down and wave. One time we had a Sheriff's helicopter land near us to cite us for camping on private property (my own land!). I get checked for a fishing license pretty regularly, especially along the Central Coast. I wonder why the discrepency?

songdog

Reaction score
It wasn't around a license issue but two different times I've had grief with the Valencia Sheriff helicopter.

Once I was out in the Nat'l Forest and it actually landed and told me to get lost.  I was ready to pull out my maps and tell him that I had every right to be here hunting but figured it wasn't worth the grief he could cause me.

The second time in the Nat'l Forest while bobcat hunting, the helicopter circled over the top of me (sitting in the bushes in camo) for about 20 minutes.  I finally got fed up and walked the quarter mile back to the truck as the helicopter followed.  There was a sheriff waiting at my truck.  I opened the action on my rifle very obviously at about 70 yards so as not to cause any undue grief.  He was actually a great guy and said that he got the call to come out and check on my vehicle (shouldn't the Forest Adventure Pass tell you that I wasn't committing suicide?).

The helicopter pilot in both cases was Mark Cohen.  I spoke to him the first time when he landed and I have very little good to say about him.  99% of the Valencia Sheriff guys are great... I know a ton of them.  This is one of the few exceptions.  

Not much that I could do about it.  In neither case did they ever ask to see my license.  The first was just a "get lost" and the second was "I've got to check on you to get that guy in the helicopter to leave us both alone".

grtwythunter

Reaction score
 In 19 years I've been checked once. That doesn't include pheasant clubs or refuges that are required to check before they let you in.
  I've been required to but a fishing license for 16 years and only been checked twice. Both time by a forest ranger.
  It pretty much pi$$e$$ me of to think about it. Especially when I think back to all of the game laws I have seen broken. We pay our money  and basically see very little enforcement. The legit hunters(us) police ourselves, but there is so few wardens that the slobs seem to go unchecked.  
Scott

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
X-12 deer hunt  at camp. No drama.

Lake Perris. The warden busted the guys next to me for fishing with gold fish. I warned them and because the warden saw me talking to them he thought I had a bucket full of gold fish hid out in the bushes too. After 15 minutes of searching  he left, but he never did believe me.

Quail hunting  near Perris. warden was dressed up like a hunter and did the good guy routine for 5 minutes and then out came the badge. Only drama was 1 buddy left his license in truck that was 50 feet away. Warden let him slide with warning.

Multiple times by Dick Phillips out of Wrightwood in D-14. Really nice guy and lots of good tips. He's given me more rides when I've been whipped after a long day of hiking. Best one was turkey season near Lake Arrowhead many moons ago Dick got stuck in a nasty section of the road. We pulled him out and the next year it snowed really heavy and I walked way back in. No one around all day and here comes Dick breaking trail in the snow. He looked at me trudging along and mentioned how I was the only fool he'd seen out that day.

Wister about 10X. Zeke is usually the warden I get checked by down there. He has a quad and enjoys sneaking up on the hunters with his hip boots.

Fort Hunter Liggett. Last year was glassing and filming some deer off the main road during turkey season. Warden was kind of spooky, thought I was shooting the deer  since it was a good place to do it he said. I showed him my cameras and he wished me luck.

San Diego turkey hunting near a ranch recently bought by CNF. Lots of guys were trespassing in private land and the warden was looking to do some writing.

Cabazon, dove hunting. As I was leaving, I saw a pickup screaming down a parallel power line road going to cut me off. The local Indians had been airing out the Zen Bhuddist's compound with rifles and someone had been popping the Indian's cows so I wasn't sure who wanted a piece of me. DGF warden hopped out and wanted to know if I had any rifles. Yup, and I showed him my .300 winmag. He looked at it for a second, said thanks and high tailed it. Must not have been the lucky caliber or rifle.

Wait, this is a secret ploy to have us give up our spots without knowing it right?

A few more stories here and in other states, but I'll shut up for now.

East Coast

Reaction score
In Pennsylvania the wardens typically chat with you then do a quick glance at your license on your back.  Very cool way of handling the issue and not intrusive at all.

Do you even have to wear your license on your back in CA???  I do it anyway.

EC

OC hunter

Reaction score
You have to wear your fishing license in plain site above the waist in Califormia.  I have never seen anyone do it with a hunting license.  The fishing license thing is a real divided issue.  A large percentage of fisherman hate it and always write letters to complain about it.  Original suggestion came from fisherman who were tired of having some bozo with no license fishing next to you.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
In almost 30 yrs. I've seen the DFG 5 times.
2 times on Dove opner
3 times at Wister Duck Huting
I know I follow the laws, but give me a break, that is sad for the amount of Hunters there are. I don't mind if I get check, it shows they are doing there job (DFG) just my $.02

lintongb

Reaction score
I have been checked twice.  Once in Blythe for the dove opener.  The other time was about 8-9 years ago. It was my first time turkey hunting with my brother up in Northern Cal.  We were on a piece of public land along with a few other guys.  Two fish cops come up right in the middle of this guys stand and start asking for licenses and saying that it was private property.  After showing them maps and such they left us stay there.  The guy with the stand was to say the least a bit miffed.  I'll confess, I got busted for not having my license on me.  I had a different vest on than normally use and forgot it in the other.  Boy, did I fell like a jacka$$.  He cited me I had to fax proof of my license to the court.  It still cost me $40-$50 but that's better that a couple hundred.  I tell you one thing, I never forget it now!

Bill W

Reaction score
A few times over the years.  I used to hunt the dove opener with a bunch of guys on ranch every year.  It was a big social thing.  F&G would check the ranch every year 'cause it was a place where they knew they could go to one location and check forty guys.  Amazingly, they would usually find someone who had forgotten his license, or didn't have a plug in the gun or something stupid like that.

Was checked hunting dove near Taft this year on the thrird day of the season by a guy and girl DFG team.

Probably a total of eight to ten times in twenty years.

Bill

d trees

Reaction score
the last three years on each dove opener .
to many times to count while fishing !!!
and once at LK and tule and once at Wister.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Doves at Salton Sea area - twice in 4 years
Doves at Blythe - 4 times in 7 years
Doves at CRIT - 2 times in 4 years
All dove incidents were handled nicely except one - I went with 7 or 9 other hunters to their secret spot near the Salton Sea.  About 30 minutes into the opener, a squad car pulls up to our field and orders everyone out.  I stayed in the bushes but could clearly hear the conversation.  The Reservation cop said we were on reservation land (no postings anywhere).  A few used the old excuse " we've hunted here for years" with no luck.  He asked the guys to show some ID and they all whip out their badges.  Crap, now he can't give a fellow officer a ticket. He said as long as we were all police we could stay.  I stayed hidden since I'm just a lowly machinist.  It was a fun hunt.

But the WORST was hunting on a private dairy in Chino.  My police friends have a pit blind in the middle of the field.  Everything is very professional and legal.  We have written permission.  Now, it's about 9:30 and we have a huge flock of Canada geese circling.  This jerk of a DFG warden comes driving right down the middle of the field.  Of course they flair off.  He is really rude and showing off his authority.   He asks for plugs, steel shot, permission, licenses etc.  After five minutes of the BS, one of the officers says "hey, we're legal and you just screwed up our hunt.  Why don't you turn around and leave." Mr. DFG got all red in the face and was just about to get tough when the boys pulled out THEIR badges.  It was one hell of a standoff.  Mr. DFG quickly left.  Nice group of guys I shoot with every once in a while.  I think I'll call 'em up.

foulshot

Reaction score
I have been checked at least 2 times the last three years.  Most of the time has been in El Centro dove hunting.The time that FullSack is referring to was a nightmare.  Those Federal guys can be real &icks. I'll pass on this tip.  Bag limit means exactly that.  DO NOT SHARE A BAG IN THE COOLER WITH ANYONE ELSE. I made this mistake 2 years ago.  The Fed read me the riot act.  Took my gun,serial number, truck vin number.  After an hour or so I got my gun back along with the local DFG wardedn citation.  After a year of calling the El Centro courts, the ticket never made it to the clerks office. Pesonally I think the local guy understood the mistake.  To this day though I will not share a bag of game with anyone I hunt with.  Everyone has their own coolers from now on. I have been checked once at the San Diego City lakes.  Once while I was turkey hunting up near Boulder Creek.
I have had buddies being watched at the San Diego City lakes years ago.  The ranger would belly crawl up on them.  Got them once for shooting under boat motor power. 1 warning for the guy working the motor, and 1 fine for the guy shooting.
I get checked even more for that Adventure Pass.  Those guys love to look for you!
Hey Spectr17, is the Zeke you speak of an Indian or Mexican fellow.  If so I met him at the line up for the San Diego City lakes draw for Duck season.  He is a friend of a friend of mine.  He is a real nice guy from what I could tell.  He said he is in San Diego county now, no more down in the valley.

QAL HNTR nice signature, why didn't I think of that!!

(Edited by foulshot at 8:38 pm on Dec. 5, 2001)

Top Bottom