Before you buy

BDB

Reaction score
I didn't see any bashing. Maybe it was removed.

BDB

Reaction score
Opps, different forum layout, I didn't see the additional pages, thought it was just page 1

Gotdux

Reaction score
Burning all my Avery gear tonight in massive protest on the stairs of the capital!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously thAT GUY IS AN aRROGANT pRI***k!!
tANGLEFREE FROM NOW ON!

camo snob

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gotdux @ Aug 31 2006, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
tANGLEFREE FROM NOW ON![/b]
I saw some Tanglefree deks, brand new in the box, at the local Sports Athority and they showed some wear still in the store. They must have gotten banged around in transit or somthing cause they did not look good.

I have some Avery woodrow deks and they are showing wear after the first season, but I do not take care of them. I have heard bad things about Avery deks and bought them anyway (got a deal), but I won't buy ANYMORE.

I was thinking cork next time around.

upperEA

Reaction score
WOW, WOW, and WOW I have never seen anything like that. I would have to say their Goose is cooked

threelab

Reaction score
Not a fan of anybody attacking a kid, I've got some myself. Don't like adults bashing other adults either for that matter. What the guy said was absolutely wrong, and should control his anger towards the comments made about his product, or drop the forum. You have to take the good with the bad. Now let me play Devil's Advocate. Do people honestly think that another company won't go so far as to plant a seed at another company. If so you're kidding yourself. Proof would have gone a long way in this case but was never presented. That's what makes me kinda go HMMMM

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I read the entire 8 pages. I'm in Public Relations for a large company. It's hard to believe that a PRESIDENT of company, any company, would go off on a open forum like that, kid or not. I take a lot of kids hunting and None of them, sound like that kid and they all know how to put pictures on the internet (Very subtle about the paint coming off, said it 2 or 3 times.) Paint coming off is a very touchy subject with hunters and probably decoy makers. All I'am saying is there's normally two sides to every story, on the internet or not. I use there decoys and when I first bought them, I had a paint problem with the Cinnamon Teal. Sent them back and got sent new ones, no problem. Since then, I've had no problems with their paint. The guy may be a jerk but they make great decoys, and somebody must be buying them, because I just ordered 2 dozen F.B. Mallards from Cabela's 2 weeks ago and they are back ordered for a month.

BDB

Reaction score
Good points by many folks here. Any kid at 13 who can't post a pic on a forum is most likely full of crap. THat said, whether the kid was 100% legit or a complete troll or plant, the way Tom delt with him was absolutely pathetic and would steer me clear of his company.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Ouch!!.

I gotta agree with BDB. Any teens claims they can't post a pic is bending the truth. Also classic troll behaviour to dredge up an old hot post to reflame the issue.

What timing huh, right in the peak of decoy buying season?????

Sumpin smells. Tom may have risen to the bait and they got him good.

A PR debacle

CaliDuckPro

Reaction score
I doubt the kid was a plant or a troll.. If you read the post thoroughly you will see that another member stated that he had posted pictures for the kid. The following post states that the boy already returned the decoys.

augnmike

Reaction score
That response from Avery is BS. First off I bought a bunch of his dekes two years ago, after they "fixed" the paint problem. Every one of them has almost no paint left, he's right I didn't call customer service because frankly I'm not sure how they are going to fix the problem since they supposedly already had fixed it. I have always bought G&H dekes and I thought I would "save" money this time. Oh well, lesson learned. I think GHG are awesome looking and for casual, occasional hunters not a bad deal. But if you happen to leave them out all season at a club I have doubts about their longevity.

Also I didn't pick up that the kid was a troll, but if he was this guy blew it big time with his response cause he lost me for sure. Up until now I have never made a big deal about my purchase with them since it's my fault for buying when I knew there were significant problems already.

Lastly, Tom says in his post, "it's illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater", well guess what, NO it's not if the damn theater is actually on fire and frankly I see flames right now!

DanD

Reaction score
If the kid was a plant or legit that does not really make much of a difference to me. The reaction and the tone that was used by the president of the company was unacceptable. I realize he has had to deal with the paint issues on his decoys for the last 4 years but that is business. If you do not make a good product then you are going to hear about. That's just the way it goes. The leader of a company has to take the high road regardless. Hell even his media relations guy did no better and you would think that’s his job. They are in there own little world over there and just do not get it.

I own a lot of there decoys some are new and some I have had for a few years and I have not had any problems with any of them, but they will not longer get any of my business. I do not even think a public apology at this point would do much good, it would not be sincere.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Just an FYI, note all the edited posts in that thread. Even the kid altered his original posts. If you don't have the big picture how can you ever know what was said?

Avery has a well known paint issue with their dekes but IMHO, someone went fishing and they caught a big fish.

QuackWhacker

Reaction score
Unbelievable!

I took the time to read all the posts and then I went back and reread the original post and question the kid had asked.

Avery's president stepped in a "bucket of sh*t" on this one! He was so far out of line that it was embarassing to read and he never addressed the question of how to best transport the deke's to keep them looking good. He needed to take the time to go back and reread the post before going off the way he did.

That eliminates any Avery products for me any time soon.

GB Jack

Reaction score
I did read ALL the posts before most of them were edited. i believe that Tom acted unprofessianlly, BUT I understand where he is coming from also. He should have asked questions first, tried to rectify the problem to find out if this kid was full of crap, and THEN started the offensive. In the past three years I have noticed a current trend on ALL waterfowl forums, of attacking, bashing etc, BUT that is what an OPEN forum is about. there are "CERTAIN" waterfowl websites, that even prevent you from typing in some company names who are direct competition to their sponsors! is a bunch of crap. Jesses all in all is run VERY well, and is why I spend so much time on here. I think this would be a better place if everyone wrote their name, address, and tel number in their signitaure to make sure ther weren't an "INTERNET" hero in trying to talk a big game and have NOTHING to back it up!

hunthog

Reaction score
Under no circumstances should a representative of a major Company such as Avery be in the business of being so worried about the quality of his product that he bashes a youngster for asking an honest question. His answers bordered on abusive and were completely and totaly unprofessional. If I were his boss he would be personaly bashed for his unwarranted comments to a 12 year old's honest question. If the young man were my son Avery would have gotten a stinging letter of protest and sending my son's decoys back with a note that Mr Tom should shove them up his ..... flocked head last.

I know my opinion of Avery has dropped several notches due to this incident and you can be sure I will think twice about spending my hard earned money on their products in the future.

hunthog

Top Bottom