Beginner's Luck Ran-out

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Back to the drawing boards!  The temperature has been running 101 to 104 degrees, and the 2nd roll was all day shot.  I didn't get any night shots on the second roll.  So, maybe the 49-425 taking pictures of the heat?  Anyone else have this problem?  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Richard,
Yup - I've run through bushels o' film with nothin' on it!
Nothing wrong with the design, just the weather! 101 - intolerable!
You're probably getting pics of the heat patterns changing.  Maybe no animals becuase the temperature differential between ambient and subject is so low.

Archilochus

gizz

Reaction score
Richard - were all the pics taken in one daylight cycle? Did you have the cam facing do east or west into the direct AM or PM sun? What times were the pics taken? All this might be helpful in finding the problem.
Can be very frustrating getting pics of nothing developed. Been there done that!

gizz

Reaction score
What are the specs on the RS49-425? Is it meant for outdoor use? I've had a few "ghost" pics with the MS20 but not a whole roll.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi gizz,

I don't want to start a 49-425 vs MS-20 debate, and cause Tinhorn to stay up all night with his calculations. But at present it looks like the 49-425 likes indoor temperatures. That was a good question about the time frame of the 2nd roll. I went back and checked the date/time stamp on them.  Here is how they line up: All of the pictures were taken in a 24 hour period, and the camera lens caught a little of the afternoon sun as it set over the hills. I put the Cam out at 4 PM on the 9th, and as the sun was setting at 18:30 it snapped 8 frames in 20 minutes of nothing. Then, at 11:28 AM the next morning it clicked 14 frames until 3 PM that afternoon. Hopefully, when the Owl PF rewinds it also shuts off the flash, because the Cam hung on a tree for another 11 days till this morning when I brought it home.

Archy,

Do you think I should install a Photo resistor to block the reed relay? At this point, it seems like turning off the Cam during day light hours would be a good idea if the weather is hot. Would a resistor put a load on Pin #2 of the large IC, or block putting a load on Pin #2?  

gizz

Reaction score
Richard - no debates here - I'm not changing mine no matter what we all come up with They're done until they break - i'll deal with them then. I use a 1.2Amp 12Volt with the MS20 and i ain't changin it now.
Anyways, sounds like you caught the setting sun and then possibly the rapid rise in heat, as Arch said, from the 11AM to 3PM timeframe. I'm not too good with the details of electronic parts but maybe Arch, Tinhorn, or someone else knows of a way to reduce the sensitivity of that PIR.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom