Belize Bait Casting

Late Night

Reaction score
Hello all. I am headed to Belize next month and I am getting my tackle ready for the trip. I realize that Salt Water Fly is probably the best but I've spent so much money on getting down there that I don't have the money to get a salt water fly rig. However I am planning on bringing down my salt water bait casting set up.

I am going to see if I can get a charter for a day or two and see if I can use some fly equipment that they might have so at least I'll beable to say I did some Fly Fishing in the flats

But back to the bait casting tackle. Does anyone know of some definite must haves for the types of fish that I may run into (Tarpon, Wahoo, Permit, Baracuda, Red Snapper)

ie: Steel Leaders, size weights, hooks, lures ect.

Any help would be awesome! Thanks all.

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
When I go down there I take a variety of tackle. Tarpon, permit and bonefish require lighter gear than say tuna and Wahoo. Also , its different fishing the flats and mangroves than the blue water. I've landed 125lb tarpon on 15lb test with a 6" steel shorty leader crimped to a 2/0 hook and baited with a sardina on a calcutta 200 reel. But if you get a wahoo or tuna on that you get the boat in reverse rapido. Take some rapala cd 14's and 18's. Buy some pre made shorty leaders with hooks 1-2/0. Take a 40 lb outfit for offshore. Take a 400 size baitcaster on a 7.5 foot trigger stick with a fairly fast action. It's tough to get a good hookset on a tarpon. they got really bony mouths. Get a black/purple marauder for offshore. Take a variety of sliding sinker's. My brother's patient owns an island down there bordering Hondura's and he takes me along as a bodyguard when he goes down there to "check on his health",lol. Let me know if you need better details as your trip nears. Good luck and bring back some coffee from down there,  you'll never drink the sludge up here again.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom