Bench / Practice Log

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I've been thinking about setting up a form to keep track of how different rounds perform on the range. The data could be compared to chose best hunting or target round and keep track of scope adjustments needed to zero a particular round. Do any of you use such a thing? If so, what type of data do you track and in what format; IE separate pages, one sheet, etc.

Val

Reaction score
I reload for enough calibers that I find it mandatory to keep notes on my reloads and shooting results. I seem to keep having new hunting rifles and Military Surplus rifles following me home. I take notes in a small notebook while at the rifle range. When I get home I enter them into my computer using Microsoft Word. I enter them by caliber, then by rifle within that caliber and I enter the date of the entry under each rifle. I print out a copy to have it handy and to protect against a computer crash. I refer to these notes pretty frequently while doing my load development.

Chuck N. Lead

Reaction score
I never go to the range without my note pad or binder. I draw my targets on three ring binder paper and when I'm done shooting, I put the targets in the binder. I record the temp, weather conditions and time of day on the targets. I also record details regarding the ammo on bothe the target and in a note book. The binder is divided by caliber and some sub categories IE rifle or pistol. I have logs for my reloads and factory loads. I could tell you what lot produced what group in any gun and pull the target form the binder.

It's almost a seperate hobby. I do it with rimfire loads for my rifles and pistols as well. Everthing I fire through any gun gets "logged".

People might think I'm overboard. But nobody laughs at the .25" groups fired from 200yards from my factory rifles. My Ruger#1 sporter prints a .5" group at 200yds!

Have you ever heard "I had this rifle and it did'nt shoot worth a darn" when asked what brands of ammo they fired from the gun they can only name one!? To fire only one brand of ammo is not a fair evaluation of the rifle. My remington shoots 2" groups with winchester and umc at 100yards. it shoots .75" at 200yds with Black hills and .25" at 200yds. with handloads.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom