BENELLI M4

topdoggultd

Reaction score
HEY GUYS, I WAS WONDERING IF THE BENELLI M4 IS LEGAL TO HUNT COYOTES WITH IN CALIFORNIA. I'M LOOKING TO BUY ONE. YOUR HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED. THANK U AND GOD BLESS

tony270

Reaction score
This is for non game animals, if you need help interpreting this section let me/us know.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#475
§475. Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Nongame Mammals.
Nongame birds and nongame mammals may be taken in any manner except as follows:

(a) Poison may not be used.
(b) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.
(c) Fallow deer, sambar deer, axis deer, sika deer, aoudad, mouflon, tahr and feral goats may be taken only with the equipment and ammunition specified in Section 353 of these regulations.
(d) Traps may be used to take nongame birds and nongame mammals only in accordance with the provisions of Section 465.5 of these regulations and sections 3003.1 and 4004 of the Fish and Game Code.
(e) No feed, bait or other material capable of attracting a nongame mammal may be placed or used in conjunction with dogs for the purpose of taking any nongame mammals. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an individual operating in accordance with the provisions of Section 465.5 from using a dog to follow a trap drag and taking the nongame mammal caught in that trap.
(f) Methods of take within the California condor range. Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to use or possess projectiles containing more than one percent lead by weight while taking or attempting to take any nongame birds or nongame mammals in those areas described in Section 3004.5, Fish and Game Code.
(1) For purposes of Section 475, a “projectile” is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot, shot, pellet or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.
(2) Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to possess any projectile containing lead in excess of the amount permitted in subsection 475(f) and a firearm capable of firing the projectile while taking or attempting to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal within the area described in subsection 475(f). The possession of a projectile containing lead in excess of the amount allowed in subsection 475(f) without possessing a firearm capable of firing the projectile is not a violation of this section.

tony270

Reaction score
This is for big game animals:
Quote:
CCR T14-
353. Methods Authorized for Taking
Big Game.
(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(b)
through (h), Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined
by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken
by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose
or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see
Section 354, Title 14, CCR, for archery equipment
regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or
percussion type, including “in-line” muzzleloading
rifles using black powder or equivalent black
powder substitute, including pellets, with a single
projectile loaded from the muzzle and at least .40
caliber in designation. For purposes of Section 353,
a “projectile” is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot,
slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled
from a firearm through a barrel by force.
(b) Shotguns capable of holding not more than
three shells firing single slugs may be used for the
taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where
the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is
prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable
of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or
00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.
(c) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges
with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used
to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.
(d) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel
lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges with
softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to
take elk and bighorn sheep.
(e) Except as provided in subsection 354(j),
crossbows may be used to take deer and wild pigs
only during the regular seasons.
(f ) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle
only tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading
rifles as described in subsection 353(a) equipped
with open or “peep” type sights only except as
described in subsection 353(k).
(g) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading
rifle/archery tag, hunters may only possess
muzzleloading rifles with sights as described in
subsection 353(f ); archery equipment as described
in Section 354; or both. For purposes of this
subsection, archery equipment does not include
crossbows, except as provided in subsection 354(j).
(h) Methods of take within the California condor
range. Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful
to use or possess projectiles containing more
than one percent lead by weight while taking or
attempting to take any big game (as defined in
Section 350, Title 14, CCR) in those areas described
in Section 3004.5, Fish and Game Code.
This section deals with small game animals:

§311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game.
Only the following may be used to take resident small game:

(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun.
(b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.
(c) Muzzle-loading shotguns.
(d) Falconry.
(e) Bow and arrow (see Section 354 for archery equipment regulations).
(f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gas and used with any caliber of pellet, except that wild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is at least 0.177 caliber.
(g) In addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) and (f) above, firearm rifles and pistols may be used for taking rabbits and squirrels only; except in Los Angeles County where rifles and pistols may not be used.
(h) In San Diego and Orange counties only, rabbits may be taken at any time during the open season by means of box traps. Such traps shall not exceed 24 inches in any dimension, shall be tended at least once every 24 hours, and shall show the name and address of the trap owner. All rabbits taken under this section shall be immediately killed and become a part of the daily bag limit.
(i) Electronic or mechanically-operated calling or sound-reproducing devices are prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds.
(j) Coursing dogs may be used to take rabbits.
(k) Archers hunting during any archery season may not possess a firearm while in the field engaged in archery hunting during an archery season.
(l) The use of live decoys is prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds.
(m) Pistols and revolvers may be used to take sooty and ruffed grouse in those counties only and for the season described in Section 300(a)(1)(E).
(n) Crossbows, except for provisions of Section 354(d) and (g).
(o) Dogs may be used to take and retrieve resident small game.
Amendment filed 8/8/2011, effective 9/10/2011.

topdoggultd

Reaction score
i appreciate your reply, and i apologize in advanced if am being dumb. i came across the regs but had a hard time understanding. so does that mean it's ok as long as what's being used is lead free? the concern that i have is the fact that the M4 has a pistol grip and holds 7 shots.
thanks again

tony270

Reaction score
If you legally own it in California you can hunt with it. But if it has the described features that I posted below that condemns it as an Assault Weapon you would have to have registered before the end of the registration period back in 1992. So if you did not register it or you plan on bringing it into Cali you can't, so then you would not be able to legally hunt with it. I posted features below that deem a shotgun an assault weapon in California. Just for the record most states don't let you hunt with an AR and they limit how many round you can have when hunting, Cali does not excluding upland game and some special instances.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

Shotguns
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of theweapon, thumbhole stock, or
vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachablemagazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Legal Info, Firearms Links:
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=links

Last edited:

topdoggultd

Reaction score
thank u for the clarification, i dont own one but saw one at turners and it looked pretty nice. so i was just woondering.
thanks.

tony270

Reaction score
For non game animals, well you don't say, where is that code, regulation, or law at Bruce?

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Do a non game forum search, I posted those regs a couple of weeks ago for someone else,

Latest Posts

Top Bottom