Beretta AL391

gabby1

Reaction score
Looking for some opinions for purchasing a new shotgun.
I won a $500 gift certificate at a dove hunt drawing last fall to a small gun shop.
They don't have a large selection but are a Beretta dealer.
For semi-auto's I have two 12 gauge Browning A-5's. A Belgum model and a newer Jap model.
I love the older Belgum one and it feel's like an extension of me although after a few hours carrying it when small gaming or brid hunting it gets heavy.
I have been wanting a lighter 20 gauge.
I have looked into the Beretta AL391 Urika 2's and like them but there are so many differant models to pick from.
Sporting, Field, differant barrel lenghts etc.
I measured my A-5's. The Jap one is 28" and the Belgum is slightly shorter with a poly choke.
Any input on the Beretta models or other things to consider.
I would like this gun for birding (not waterfowl) and skeet/trap occasionally.

desertseeker

Reaction score
Not to confuse you more, but the Franchi 48 AL in 20 ga is a very nice gun. It weights approx 51/2 lbs, cost is around $800.00. Good luck.

gabby1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info but the problem I am running into is the limited supply/stock that this shop offers.
He can order a few guns he doesn't have in stock but it's a cra_ _ shoot if he can get it.
And I can't handle it before he orders it.
I handled a Benelli at my local shop and like them as well but where the gift certificate is for-no Benelli's.
I will consider all models recomended and inquire if available.
What a delema, $500 to spend in a gun store and having problems doing it....

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I am a skeet shooter, duck hunter, and upland bird hunter. I used to shoot skeet competitively with two State championships. There! That's my pedigree.

I own a standard 391 Urika 30 inch parallel comb trap gun that I shimmed for all-around shooting (everything but upland birds, I have a S X S for that), and I have some observations for you. By the way, I don't shoot trap.

The Beretta AL391 is, in my opinion, the most trouble free gas operated shotgun available today. It's easy to shoot, the controls are intuitive, it's designed for competition as well as hunting, it's easy to clean, shoots everything, and is soft on the shoulder. It's almost infinitely adjustable for drop and cast as well as length. It's balance point is about where it needs to be and with a bit of weight in the rear and at the magazine cap, it makes a formidable skeet doubles gun. I have run 100 straight in competition skeet with it and have won one Iron Man (250 bird 12 gauge) with this gun. My hunting partner was ranked 10th in the world with a 28 gauge two years ago and when we shot in 12 gauge refused to allow me to shoot it, 'cause I'd kick his ass with it. (True story)

The only complaint I have is with the industry: backboring is a waste of money! Let me explain. Shoot two shells; one out of a backbored 391 and the other out of a standard diameter bore. The velocity out of the backbored gun is lower, WAY lower. So, you add powder to get to the velocity you need to do the job, and you have now got the same pressure and velocity as the non back bored barrel, just using more powder! Where's the sense in that?

Buy a standard bore, 30 inch with extended chokes and get extra shims for getting it adjusted right for you, and have fun!

Tank

Reaction score
AL391 is a great gun....love mine...go for it.

gabby1

Reaction score
I am leaning towards the AL391 Ultra 2 (20 gauge) but my delema is which model (sport versus field), and what barrel lenght..

Sport Model comes in 28" or 30" barrel, has a wider rib then field model, has 5 ext. chokes and 2 interchangable butt pads (rubber and gel tec) and I think the interchangable stock shimes.

Field Model comes in 26" or 28" barrel, narrower rib then Sport, 5 flush style chokes and I think the interchangable stock shimes.

I read your comments, myfriends410, and it seems you are an accomplished clay bird shooter. My local gun shop has several guys that work/owners there that are well known in our area for trap and skeet and the model they stock is the Sporting model with ext. chokes and 30" barrels. They claim most of their customers are clay bird shooters and that is the model they want.

I plan to use this in the field (dove, pheasant) and on the skeet/trap range.

My A-5's will be the deer/duck/goose guns.

My personal feeling so far has been more on the line of the 28" or 26" model.
My two A-5's (12 gauges) are 28" and feel comfortable with them.

When shouldering the 30" in the store it seems a little long to my liking but until really spending some time with it in the field I'm really not sure. And at $1,200 +/- I don't want to make a hasty decision.

The shop where I have the gift certificate for has an new 1995 AL391 Urika (pre Urika 2) Field/Standard model for aprox. $300 cheaper in a 28" version. I believe this is before the backboring came to play in the Urika 2's and the X-grain stock. He has 08 models as well.
Like I said, he is a small shop. He is a farmer full time with a gun store on the side (keeps his wife busy in the shop). He also does some gunsmithing.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
You are right that a 30" barrel seems long, but that is the direction the shooters are going. They take a bit of getting used to, but if you are used to an over/under, a single barrel gun is going to be a lot longer anyway. In my opinion, 30" is perfect. It's also just a bit quieter than a shorter barrel. I despise a 26" barrel in a gas gun; loud and poor handling qualities.

gabby1

Reaction score
Do you think it's worth looking into the older model?
A few bucks less money and I believe it doesn't have the back boring done to it.
But it doesn't have the claimed improved self cleaning piston.

DRAKE11

Reaction score
A friend of mine has the 391 and loves it. He uses it for trap and birds.

gabby1

Reaction score
Drake11,
Do you know what lenght barrel and does he have the field or sporting model?

3springs

Reaction score
I have a 391 Teknys and love it. Mine is a 20 gauge with 26" barrel. That thing is light as a feather and shoots great. It will break 25 in a row on either Trap or Skeet.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
If you found a good deal and it had a 28" barrel, buy it. If you have the choice to order a gun set up the way you want it, go with a 30" tube. Shims and spacers can be had on their website for like six bucks.

gabby1

Reaction score
Stopped by gun shop this weekend and the new/older one sold.
The gun shop owner plans to call another shop he deals with about another unrelated gun and he is going to ask if they have an older one in their shop.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom