Best 800 film

ARKBOWHUNTER

Reaction score
Hey guys I am still trying build a couple of cameras. Have all the parts but no time. Just got Feb issue of Popular Photography.  They have a comparison of 800 films.  They rated the FujiSuperia xtra the best, also was the cheapest. Fui Superia 1400 was 2nd, followed by Kodak max, AGFA Vista 800, and KodakCenturia. Just thought some of you would be interested in info.  Thanks for all your help.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Did they have any comments about which is the best 400 & 200 speed film?

Thanx

Tinhorn

ARKBOWHUNTER

Reaction score
No they only compared 800 speed.  I guess you might assume that  Fuji 400 might better than the rest also.

woodseye

Reaction score
Good info!  fuji is best for color-800 gives you that extra couple of feet at nite using flash.Sams Club and Walmart cheapest way up north here.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I'VE USED KODAK MAX VERSATILITY PLUS 800 SPD AND 400 SPD AND THE LATTER GAVE ME THE BEST DAY AND NIGHT PICS?

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
My Fuj has been looking washed out lately too. I use Sam's developing which is Fuji processing . I'm gonna give the Kodak a try and let someone else develop them.
May have to try some 800.

TmKarren

Reaction score
Is 800 speed more for less light?  Would it turn out ok if it was bright out, like a bright snow day?

ARKBOWHUNTER

Reaction score
Okay you guys made me read the whole article, not just the results.  First off this is the authors opinion and they looked at several factors.  High speed films have gotten alot better in the last 10 years.  They were designed for low light and night photos, the problem with them has been when you enlarge to a 8 x 10 they would get grainy. The new ones are better.  Fuji was better at color reproduction in daylight and mixed light.  Kodak had a better contrast.  Fuji was better at color matching, but they did say that at mini labs that only use a single channel printer they will be more green. Fuji gave best detail and resolution in low light.  Kodak did better at what they called push processing which I think may relate to to under exposure like night time.  

Top Bottom