best all around lures?

dazco

Reaction score
What is the best all around lure for largemouth, and whats the best for trout? And what is the best method for retrieving each?

If you could be as specific as possible when describing each lure it would be a great help. Brand name alone will probably leave me confused, as i know little to nothing about lures.

Thanks,-Dale

ps....i'll be using them mostly at Castaic, lower and upper

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Dale, I fish Castaic also and have cauhgt e few hogs.
1st. Plastic worms, purple, salt & pepper, black, green, night crawler colors. I would use a 8 to 10 inch. from Jan to March and 4 to 6 inch, the rest of the year.Let the worm sink and let it sit a few secounds and then a slow retreive. If you use live night Crawlers, try drop shotting or use a split shot. I use 8 to 12lb line on worms

2nd. I would use plastic Crawdads with a bullet weight, also Live ones. Let the Crawdads do the work on the bottom, and every 30 secounds pull up on your rod to move the crawdad around so it wont go into rocks. A small breeze is good to help move your bait around a bit. 10 to 15lb. line

3rd Swim baits will catch the big boys, the down side is that you will throw that thing 1000 time before you get hooked up. It is work. Use 20 to 30lb. line

Toss your baits close to shore and retrieve slowly. Drag your baits over any points you go over.

I would fish Crockadile Cove fisrt light, and then work all the shady areas. I've caught a couple of Bass out of there all over 10lbs.  The slower you bring in your baits the better. presintation is key. If you see any Strippers, throw a swim bait or a big surface plug. Good Luck I hope this helps, keep it simple. If that's not enough info let me know and type up a graft in detail on how, why,, where. Good Luck.

:crazeye:

dazco

Reaction score
Thanks THONZBERRY.......great post ! One thing i neglected to mention tho, and it's a big one..........i only fish from shore ! I know.........it's about as bad as neglecting to say what fish you're after. So obviously i'm severly handicapped compared to a boater. The upper lake offers only about 3% of the shoreline on the west side. I go up there sometimes and usually fish that cove right there at the launch. Caught an 18 incher there once, but thats about it. I usually do the lower lake because i can park on the street and save 6 bucks, plus i have the entire east side to choose a spot.

By the way, wheres crockadile cove? And do think plastic worms are as good as anything else at that lake?

Thanks,-Dale

Bou

Reaction score
Nice tips Thronzberry! I generally fish Pyraimd Lake but have been meaning to try out Castaic. I've seen guys throw small plastics on spinning tackle with 4-6lbs set ups. Do you have any suggestions on setting up these rigs?

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Dale, Crockadile Cove is on the other side of the lake on the west side.  The cove to the right of the launch ramp is a good cove, i've caught a ton of bass out of there. I would throw a night crawler on 6lb. line from shore. Put some air in the night crawler with a blow worm and then toss it as close to a bush or submerged rock as you can and then bring it in slow.   As for the lower lake if you have a float tube, I would use that if not then I would walk the shore line all the way down to the end, while tossing a swim bait, 4 to 6 incher. Let it hit the bottom and then real it in slow.  Also use small green grubs with a led head. There is a lot of grass at the end so try useing a weedless type grub. Pig-n-jigs work to purple or blue with a trailer.

Bou, I use a 6' rod light action with 4 to 6lb. line. Use a small split shot, about 12 to 18 inches from the hook. The closer the split shot to the hook the less acxtion you will have. This is more of  finess fishing when the big baits are not working.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom