Best automatic feeder?

Yooper2

Reaction score
Looking for advice on good trail feeder for "Big Bucks". (Deer)
Small $ cost! Thanks
Jim

doorgunner

Reaction score
I have been using Moultrie electronic controls for years, and they have never given me a problem. I fabricate my own feeders, and then add the Moultrie electronics. Depending on your application, and what type of feed that you want to use, I might be able to help you design one. You should be able to put something really nice together for less than $125. I have found that about 70% of the commerical rigs are absolute junk, or are so unpredictable in their feeding times that you will severly screw up the feeding patterns of deer in your area. Please feel free to email me, if there is anything that I can do to help you guys out. Take care.

Yooper2

Reaction score
I ordered a Kenco "Straight Shooter". I am just going to use it in the wooods in back of my home, and I wanted to keep the feed in front of my camera. I can check it every day, so I will just connect it to a 30# pail......
Thanks for the reply.
Jim

doorgunner

Reaction score
Yooper: I got one and a half seasons out of my Kenco Straight Shooter. I developed a mind of it's own, and would start feeding at random, up to four times a day. I'm headed to the ranch next weekend to pull it, and drop it off at the factory on the way home. Kenco has a great reputation for standing behind their products. I may talk to them and see if they are willing to put a digital timer in it for me.

Mailman Bill

Reaction score
I bought a Moultrie 30 gal. tripod last fall. It did ok until the squirrels chewed the spinner off of the box. I bought a replacement one at Cabelas made of metal. The factory ones were made of plastic. Since the metal ones were installed it has worked fine. I didn't realize that squirrels could climb up galvinized pipes. Mailman Bill

steel

Reaction score
I have been building feeders and tree stands and selling them to make alittle money and pay for my own hunting habit for a couple of years now. I am mainy using Ontime spinner units mounted on my own built barrels hanging and tripod. I use C-74s and lifetime elite units. The cheap On-time spin feeders they make are just that cheap and have some problems. The C-74s and digital elite units I have had out going year around on my farm and never have any problems and they feed same time every day just like clock work.They don't jam up alot to which is a problem alot of spin units I have tried jam all the time. I have two C-74s running right know that have not had one corn jam this year yet. I use clean corn all the time but still some feeders still jammed. The ontime plastic barrels will be eaten by squirrels in a short time here so i say go metal. Monarch makes a good spin unit I use them some if someone is looking for a pro grade unit that really puts out the corn, but the 6volt timer is like $90 by itself. This unit will lay 10Lbs of corn on the ground in 11seconds of run time!!! I have seen no other brand feed do that my C-74s lay about 1lb in 5 seconds. It has a very large plate and hole in the bottom of the barrel and a real large motor. I have never seen one jam yet too. You can get a 15gal to 55gal barrel on ebay,buy two eye hooks at the hardware store like moultire uses on their hanging 30 gal model and a short chain with Quick licks and all you need is a timer and you are good to build.

Top Bottom