Best Backpack Hunting Tents and Sleeping Bag

Rookies

I'm planning on doing an overnight hunting trip into some back country this year and was wondering what is the most recommended sleeping bag and a tent that is light weight and small? So basically what is the best that money can buy, and then what's the best for a price range of about 150.00 for tent and sleeping bag.

Also can anyone suggest or use any heel support inside there boots. I recently bought a pair of Danner Vanish and I guess they are not broken in yet but when I took it out the first day my heels were torn up and it hurt climbing 60 degree mountains. The shoe seems very stiff still and was wondering if anyone use's heel support inside your shoes like a footbed.

hank4elk

I use a Kelty Gunnison2.5,and have three diiffrerent bags depending on weather I expect.I don't take tent unless I expect lots or rain or snow,I'll use a bivy early.

BDB

I don't know about the best but I bought a Big Agnes Seedhouse 1SL and love it. Their sleeping systems with the bad that zippers to the pad are high end and I would love to get one. Never heard a bad thing about them and I know a few that swear by them being great. Good luck. Buy the best you can afford, caves buying a better one next year :)

sancho

most tents have the external tent pole hooks now. makes setting up way easier. i use a sierra design tent. bombproof.

used to be backpackers mantra was to shop the three "M's". marmot bag, moss tents, and mountiansmith packs.

MJB

Banned
Try this it sets up and takes down in seconds and is big enough for me I'm 6'1" and 200lbs. You can use it with or without the pole and rain fly.
Twist Backpacking or Camping Solo Tent - Catoma Outdoor
I found if on Find.com for $ 97.00 with free shipping. I use a Kelty light year down bag 20F with Big Angus Air Core....total weight for sleeping gear is just under 7lbs. total cost $352.00

LETSHUNT

I use a Big Agnes Seed-house 1 tent and a marmot helium 15' sleeping bag. The lightest combination that i have found. One of the things i also like it packs down very small. I use a Atmos 50 osprey back pack. My model is travel very light and come out very heavy. Take your time and buy the best this way you spend the money once.

weekender21

I have an MSR Hubba one man tent(2lb15oz), and a mountain hardware 45 degree phantom(1lb) for summer pack trips. Marmot makes a few great bags too for a little more money. I would highly recommend both. I also recommend looking for used gear if you have a $150 budget. In my opinion the sleeping bag and the tent are lifesaving pieces of gear, you're not going to find a quality new tent and bag for that price.
Superfeet are excellent insoles for your boots, I'd give those a try.

Last edited:

tradman

FYI, I just purchased an REI Camp Dome 2 brand new for $100
REI Camp Dome 2 Tent at REI.com
I don't care for Bivy's. I just sleep a lot better knowing there's a little structure between me and the elements. It may be a tad heavier than some of the ultra-light products, but for the price, the quality is incredible. And I feel it's the perfect size for a 6'0 200 lber and some gear. I'm taking it in a shakedown trip in a few weeks and can let you know how it holds up. The only weakness I can see is that the rainfly doesn't extend to the ground to form a vestibule. But I think I can work around that.

songdog

The best...

Down bags = Western Mountaineering

Floorless tents = Kifaru

Floored tents = Hilleberg

...don't look unless you've been saving for a while.

goindeep

Banned
you've got lots of options. I would recomend a down sleeping bag whatever the brand is. as far as the tent goes just pick the lightest one you are comfortable in. some people aren't comfortable in a bivy and some don't even pack a tent. If there is a good chance of weather I pack a big one man tent in case I gotta spend all day in the tent. I also like to have room to get my pack and bow out of the weather if i need to. other wise I sleep under the stars.

QEU

Hey Rookie,
Nothing beats the $19 Ozark Junior tent for two from WalMart. Less than 3-lb and it does the job of the $200 dollar tents in most conditions. If you are below 5'8, you can get this tent and sleep diagonally with comfort. If you are trying to fit two guys into this tent, 5'3 is the max height to sleep two comfortably. Perfect for A-zone hunting during the summer. What I did with mine was seam sealed it immediately. You can find the sealer at WalMart too. Holds pretty well under rain. No prob at all. If you want, you can even go lighter by replaceing the poles with aluminum poles at www.polesforyou.com

Mel Cottons have some nice down sleeping bag rated 30degree at 1lb 8oz for less than $150. Mel Cottons is in San Jose. If interested let me know. I visit the in-laws in SB all the time. :)

dlvmark

Tent

I use a versashelter (pathfinder school), check youtube. Lots of configurations so no matter what the weather does your set. It consists of a tarp that can be set up between two trees or on tent poles. If its getting below freezing a down military surplus bag is the ticket. If its not expected to get that cold I use a wool blanket. Dont forget your hammock. I find it more comfortable then a cot and you will sleep better. I can sleep on the hard ground but I expect to be walking bent over for most of the next day. LOL. I still use a tent for a base camp but prefer the versalitity of the versashelter. Do yourself a favor and check it out. I also like the idea that if for some reason I need to spend a night on the trail away from my base camp it no problem(thanks again Dave). As always if you have any question let me know.

Kit Fox

I'm planning on doing an overnight hunting trip into some back country this year and was wondering what is the most recommended sleeping bag and a tent that is light weight and small? So basically what is the best that money can buy, and then what's the best for a price range of about 150.00 for tent and sleeping bag.

Also can anyone suggest or use any heel support inside there boots. I recently bought a pair of Danner Vanish and I guess they are not broken in yet but when I took it out the first day my heels were torn up and it hurt climbing 60 degree mountains. The shoe seems very stiff still and was wondering if anyone use's heel support inside your shoes like a footbed.

For shelter, I recommend two options, a tarp shelter with a bivy or sleeping bag and a small ground tarp. YouTube - Ultralight Gear

Another option is a tarp and a hammock. My favorite (because it was affordable) Eagles Nest Outfitters Inc - Your Complete Hammock Sleep System

For your feet, I personally use, and highly recommend Superfeet Green Insoles

This was the best $30.00 i've ever spent on my feet.

youngr24

Not sure if its the best or not but, I use the Eurkia Spitfire one man tent, and a Marmont pinical sleeping bag. the tent is less than 3lbs and the bag is 18oz

lote

For the best stuff IMHO...

21oz two man tent
Gossamer Gear : Shelter : Squall Classic?
19oz Bag,
GoLite - Product Detail: Sleep Systems - Men's - Ultra Series - Ultra 20°

Go with a down bag, and get 800 fill, don't make my mistake and get a 600 only to replace it. 150 for both is possible, but you get what you pay for. If you see yourself doing a good bit of backpacking, buy the best the first time around. You'll save in the end.

And the cheap way...
Go with a tarp over a tent.
Gossamer Gear : Shelter Accessories : Spinnsheet? Ground Cloths
I
almost never take a tent or even a tarp. Im in socal at fairly low elevations so rain is not a real concern of mine. Sleep under the stars. It's cheap.
Any bag on sale works, seeing as it's hot as hell right now.

Hope this helps

Monsterbull

Not sure specifically about heel support, but I always put a pair of Superfeet insoles in my boots. Before, I'd come back from 8 - 10 days and my toes would be numb for a month. Now I don't have that problem. Also, wear a decent pair of liner socks under your main socks and treat any hot spots immediately, before they turn ugly. I carry a few blister pads, moleskin and DUCT tape. Your feet will be grateful.

Top Bottom