??? Best battery for RS 429 PIR Sensor???

deadcell

Reaction score
I am building a gamecam for a friend and he doesn't have any type of small battery chargers like i do, since i mess with RC planes and trucks. I was wondering what kind or type of battery is the least expensive throwaway battery to use in powering the Radio Shack 429 PIR sensor unit?? Email me direct if you want. Thanks DC

davered1

Reaction score
deadcell,

Have 3 of these RS PIR's out now,I use energizer batteries.They aren't cheap but tried some cheap batteries and the sensor range ain't worth a damn,I can only get 35-45 ft out of good batteries.They last about 5 rolls of film so they only cost about $1 a roll anyway

deadcell

Reaction score
are you talking about just everyday ordinary 9volt batteries like the RS sensor is suppose to use in a stock setup? I thought i saw a site somewhere where a guy had wired 3 of those 9volt connectors in parallel and was using 3 batteries at one time. This gave him 3 times the capacity. I may try this. Thanks DC

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi deadcell,
9 volt batts are the *most* expensive type if you compare cost/capacity ratios.  For example: "AA" batts have a rating of ~2000 mAHours.  9 volt batts have a rating of ~500 mAHours.
So you'd need 6 "AA" bats to get 9 volts at a cost of ~4.00 (RS prices)  You'd need four 9 volt batts in parallel to equal the capacity of the 6 "AA"s  The 9 volt batts cost ~2.40 each, so that would be 9.60  That's almost 2 1/2 times the cost for the same capacity!
>>>>
If you want long batt life at lower cost, buy a 6 cell "AA" batt holder and power the RS sensor from that.  Since RS does not sell a 6 "AA" batt holder, you can wire a two cell and four cell holder together.
>>>>
By the way, the RS sensor should run just fine off of 5 "AA" batts (7.5 volts)  It might also work off of 4 "AA"s, but I've not tried that yet.

Good Luck!
Archilochus

davered1

Reaction score
  I just use the one 9V battery,then I can keep it all contained in the housing the Pir came in.I just run a on/off  switch through the + wire.I don't want a "battery pack" outside the PIR. It lasts about 5 rolls so it only costs 1$ a roll at the most.

deadcell

Reaction score
So if i wire two 9volts in parallel it should last at least thru 10 rolls of film maybe? What exposure do you use 24 or 36?? I've been told that the 36 roll film is hard on the camera motors when its cold. Thanks DC

davered1

Reaction score
I use 24 exp.takes long enough to wait for 24 pics,couldn't take another 12. 2 batteries (good quality) should last 10 rolls.

Part I like about the RS is the fact that it can be self-contained,that way it fits into small compartments.7.62 ammo cans are 9x6x3. 9" is a bit wide (could easilly be done with a 6x6x3 container),but they are fairly compact and secure,waterproof.

Top Bottom